Does chain-wear matter on a fixie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When my chain was worn it actually started slipping over the sprocket's teeth instead of engaging them. I assume the same sort of thing would happen on a fixie.
I did once run the fixed until the chain & the chainring were so worn that it would unship even if tight.
Obviously I would change before anything along those lines was a possibility. Similarly with the chainring

1632216831420.png

as discussed on another thread.

For the moment, the chainring seems to be doing its job just fine, as is the chain. I'm guessing when I start losing the tops of those spikes, it'll be time for a full overhaul/replace.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Having run a fixed gear bike for a while as my main commuter, I`ve had my fair share of worn chains etc. That chainring above is shot, fitting a new chain may work but you get a hell of a lot more noise and I always found tension an issue .

silva

Über Member
The key to avoid noise is to spread wear over all teeth. When it becomes noisy, I rotate the chainring on its spider a rough quarter of the teeth. When sharkfin shape becomes noticable, I flip the ring.
When you then mount a new chain on a worn chainring, it sounds as quiet as new everything.

Top Bottom