does cycling kill upper body muscle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anecdotal evidence of cyclists pushing weights is not proof that it is the right thing to do. What other evidence do you have? I have asked you already, but you seem to be ignoring my questions...
Im sorry you do not understand - you obviously do not agree with me - ive used it for 40 years - and will continue to do so - i am still waiting
for you to tell me why it is no good - and what is your recommendation - you have not made one yet - it is so easy to be critical without construction
If you have not got one - Here endeth the lesson - the editor

Im sorry you do not understand - you obviously do not agree with me - ive used it for 40 years - and will continue to do so - i am still waiting
for you to tell me why it is no good - and what is your recommendation - you have not made one yet - it is so easy to be critical without construction
If you have not got one - Here endeth the lesson - the editor

The average pedal forces required, for instance, on a typical TdF mountain stage are around 25kg through each pedal. That kind of force requirement can already be met by almost any sedentary individual, with no cycle training whatsoever. That amount of pedal force is significantly less than most people's own bodyweights. The real trick is in training your aerobic system to continually push 25kg at a relatively high cadence for several hours each day.

So why on earth you think it might be a good idea for cyclists to go to the gym to increase leg strength is a bit of a mystery, tbh.

ps - I don't really get this 'the editor' bit....

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in what 'Bradley' does, to be fair. People lift weights for all kinds of reasons - but impoving cycling performance generally isn't one of them. Perhaps you could tell me the specific benefit to be gained by strengthening the thigh muscles?
The average pedal forces required, for instance, on a typical TdF mountain stage are around 25kg through each pedal. That kind of force requirement can already be met by almost any sedentary individual, with no cycle training whatsoever. That amount of pedal force is significantly less than most people's own bodyweights. The real trick is in training your aerobic system to continually push 25kg at a relatively high cadence for several hours each day.

So why on earth you think it might be a good idea for cyclists to go to the gym to increase leg strength is a bit of a mystery, tbh.
Squats in the gym has improved my leg strength - fact - if that is a mystery to you - well so be it -
from what you have just said you knew what your answer was going to be all along - why didnt you say that in the first place - instead of being highly
critical of me without being constructive - I could now say to you prove it - I started the thread by stating my 40 years of experience - which has been of benifit to me !!!!
-If you want a drawnout argument - become an MP - at my age i do not need it

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If he isnt - who is ???
You aren't for a start, but the team of people around Sir Brad certainly are and he does what he's told by them.

Squats in the gym has improved my leg strength - fact -
Yes it is fact. It's also fact that the majority of cyclists time would be better spent training specifically. You on the other hand have a bye due to age, where weights offer a host of benefits - few of which directly apply to cycling performance but general health.

from what you have just said you knew what your answer was going to be all along - why didnt you say that in the first place - instead of being highly
critical of me without being constructive -
You could graciously accept that you are incorrect and bow out of the thread without attempting to backtrack. You really didn't help yourself.

I could now say to you prove it -
All the proof you need is out there.

I started the thread by stating my 40 years of experience - which has been of benifit to me !!!!
-If you want a drawnout argument - become an MP - at my age i do not need it
How so? The answers to this question are well known too, I'd expect you to know them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm not really interested in what 'Bradley' does, to be fair. People lift weights for all kinds of reasons - but impoving cycling performance generally isn't one of them. Perhaps you could tell me the specific benefit to be gained by strengthening the thigh muscles?

How else do you earn a nickname like Quadzilla!

You aren't for a start, but the team of people around Sir Brad certainly are and he does what he's told by them.

Yes it is fact. It's also fact that the majority of cyclists time would be better spent training specifically. You on the other hand have a bye due to age, where weights offer a host of benefits - few of which directly apply to cycling performance but general health.

You could graciously accept that you are incorrect and bow out of the thread without attempting to backtrack. You really didn't help yourself.

All the proof you need is out there.

How so? The answers to this question are well known too, I'd expect you to know them.
I am not disagreeing with what dusty bin has said - only with the way he/she discussed it

I am not disagreeing with what dusty bin has said - only with the way he/she discussed it

You need to have a look back at some of your replies, before you start criticising mine...

Irish_Marty

And you would have demanded some "evidence" which would have inevitably come from searching the internet, rather than scanning in a page of book, so he was just getting to the point!
Exactly my point. We search for answers when we're ignorant. I called him ignorant and he says he wasn't.

Ive been weight training for 40 years - marathon running - long distance walking - and for the last 5yrs long distance cycling.
Allthough all the sports quoted involve the legs - it is important to strengthen the upper body especially the lower back muscles - you only need to use light
weights. With respect to the legs - squats using heavy weights. Believe me it works - Iam 73yrs of age and cycling 5000 miles a year which includes a few 100s
Cheers - Leigh ( mad pensioner )

In my view, and many others, weight training is one of the best things a human can do. Like you said, even very light weights that anyone at different levels can manage. Look up BILL PEARL, hes a famous bodybuilder from way back, hes in his 80s now, he still gets photos taken and has a body that most 20 year olds would do anything for (except work out with weights) thats too much like hard work of course). Well done mate.

Irish_Marty

Endurance sports use blood glucose and muscle glycogen as preferred sources of fuel. They will also use body stores of lipids (but this is a more difficult pathway, and will not provide as rapid access to fuel). The metabolic pathway that will breakdown muscle protein for fuel is only engaged in extreme situations, such as fasting for a number of days. Which is not a situation that arises in endurance sports. Maybe read this. It's the chapter on substrate availability and utilization that you want. Although you might benefit from reading the whole thing ;)

You ever hear of Tachyons ? Maybe someday the entire world will believe the fastest thing known to man is Tachyons and not light.

Theories - tut tut

Top Bottom