Does Cycling To Work Save You Money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Significant savings if bikes replace cars completely.

We went from 2 cars to 1, so i get 'half' savings. Still, it pays for an extra holiday each year. Er, not this year.

simongt

Guru
average in the UK being around 40 per mil
I believe the AA quote 60p / mile. However, any bike will have occasions when there's a sizeable outlay, but even then, it's still cheaper way of transport and you should be healthier as a result. If cars were fitted with a taxi style meter showing the cost per mile of that respective model, I think maybe some habitual drivers would have second thoughts about venturing out so often. :whistle:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Well done. You'll find it makes you fitter without realising.

Last night on the way home, I went up a pretty big hill which I couldn't get up at all in the first month. I'd get off about half way up and walk the rest.

After the first month, I managed to get all the way up on the bike but I could barely speak by the time I got to the top.

Last night, I got to the top without changing down and I took a call from my son and had a bit of a chat as I was nearing the peak.

I'm a million miles away from where I was back in March thanks to my bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So many people think that any amount of money spent on cycling above the student/unemployed budget is somehow wasted or excessive.

Yep, that'll be me. :laugh: If cycling is costing you more than a few pence a mile when calculated over an extended period, you're doing it wrong. Bikes can be bought cheaply, even high quality ones. Refusing to pay more than £100 doesn't mean you have to ride a horrid BSO, it just means you have to find the bargains. DIY maintenance is cheap if you run durably engineered bikes, and your tyre wear rate ought to be no more than wearing out the leather on your shoes.
I've just fitted a salvaged tyre and salvaged inner tube to a salvaged bike. I reckon it's probably got at least a thousand miles left in it before I will need to fit yet another salvaged tyre to it. Despite my ultra frugal cycling regime, my main reason for riding is not to save money on travel, I just don't see any reason to waste money on cycling any more that I will waste money buying a new highly depreciating car every couple of years.

Yep, that'll be me. :laugh: If cycling is costing you more than a few pence a mile when calculated over an extended period, you're doing it wrong. Bikes can be bought cheaply, even high quality ones. Refusing to pay more than £100 doesn't mean you have to ride a horrid BSO, it just means you have to find the bargains. DIY maintenance is cheap if you run durably engineered bikes, and your tyre wear rate ought to be no more than wearing out the leather on your shoes.
I've just fitted a salvaged tyre and salvaged inner tube to a salvaged bike. I reckon it's probably got at least a thousand miles left in it before I will need to fit yet another salvaged tyre to it. Despite my ultra frugal cycling regime, my main reason for riding is not to save money on travel, I just don't see any reason to waste money on cycling any more that I will waste money buying a new highly depreciating car every couple of years.

Why would anyone waste money on food from Tesco when they can get damaged or discarded food only just out its sell by date skipdiving round the back of their local supermarket.

More money than sense, some people.

You need a fair bit of skill or luck to find, select and acquire a fine old bike at cut price, and to know how to kit it out for pennies. I did that with my London commuter bike mainly to avoid tears after theft. The bike was so nice I still would have cried but it survived the mean streets.

"The more you carry, the less you need to know"

lane

Veteran
There are far more costs to running a car than just the fuel alone, the average in the UK being around 40 per mile.

The Government allow you to claim 45p a mile tax free to cover costs. Don't think it costs me that much or even 40p but it varies person to person.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why would anyone waste money on food from Tesco when they can get damaged or discarded food only just out its sell by date skipdiving round the back of their local supermarket.

More money than sense, some people.

That reminds me I found a tin of chilli con carne at the back of my cupboard the other week. It went out of date in 2016. Needless to say I opened it, and since it looked OK and smelled OK, I ate it. Delicious! :laugh:

lane

Veteran
Are you including depreciation into your costs.

Yes but depreciation can be one of the biggest variables. My depreciation costs are much lower than some people. I think those I know with big SUV on a three year lease also have a much higher cost than me.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The question should be "Does cycling to work make you a God amongst men?"

The financial side may or may not work in your favour depending on how you do it, but the inescapable truth is that it pays dividends for your health. In my experience, by far the strongest riders are the regular commuters. Non-commuters have to work long and hard, training to match the gritty stamina and strength of the hardened, all year round commuting cyclist.

FTFY :okay:

This often gets overlooked. The seasoned cyclists at my various workplaces were often the most laid back. I think once you've battled horizontal rain and wind, there not much that the average workplace can faze you with.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes but depreciation can be one of the biggest variables. My depreciation costs are much lower than some people. I think those I know with big SUV on a three year lease also have a much higher cost than me.

I did say average in my original post, I have in the past owned cars that would likely cost me at least couple of quid a mile to run now, if not more. My current one is costing about 17.5p per mile in depreciation, which is often more than it costs in fuel. Mind you depreciation also applies to bikes of a certain value.

That reminds me I found a tin of chilli con carne at the back of my cupboard the other week. It went out of date in 2016. Needless to say I opened it, and since it looked OK and smelled OK, I ate it. Delicious! :laugh:

That's nothing. This year, in a box in the loft, I found a couple of unopened miniatures of coffee liqueur and Grand Marnier that I'd had since a holiday in Ibiza in the early 70s.

Almost 50 years on they still tasted good.

To my wife's disgust I don't throw old tins of food out without checking them to see if they're OK to eat. They almost always are.

Top Bottom