Does Cycling To Work Save You Money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
By cycling to work, I get to have a lie in (if you can consider getting up at 6:30 a lie in). I know how long it takes me to go to work cycling (1:08 this time of year, 1:01ish in the summer), whereas the car can be anything from 40 minutes to 2.5 hours depending on traffic.
I save time and a small bit of money cycling to work (petrol and parking charges).
And don't get rid of netflix, get rid of your TV license. You'll save something like an extra £4/month.
I was hoping that Boris would carry through with his promise of de-criminalising non licence paying but it hasn't happened yet. If it did happen, it would be the end of the BBC.

That said, there is no way that the BBC can prove in a court that you were watching terrestrial telly if you chose to simply deny it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve been cycling to work for about 3 years now and when I started some of our regular customers and my boss were guessing how long I would stick it for, it ranged from a couple of weeks to the first winter- they have all had to admit that they were wrong although some still think It’s crazy to cycle in the rain when you have a car. It’s only between 4-7 miles depending on which way I go but has saved me quite a bit of money in diesel costs with the only extras I have bought being decent lights, rucksack and pro vis jacket.

It’s crazy to drive 4-7 miles when you have the option of a bike

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You need a fair bit of skill or luck to find, select and acquire a fine old bike at cut price, and to know how to kit it out for pennies. I did that with my London commuter bike mainly to avoid tears after theft.

I think it's patience more than anything, I've bought several high quality but silly cheap machines, each time watching a lot of overpriced examples and molested junk and just sat on my hands, waiting for the right one. My Royal tourer took over a year to turn up. It's not perfect but it's way better than I've any right to expect it to be for £30!

I've never had quality bargains from Inner London, just cheapo fixer-uppers. All the nice stuff has come from the outer fringes or around the M25 outside of London. The wealthier the area, the better the condition with less signs of high mileage, often one owner from new. It seems a bike from the middle of London will either be good but expensive or it will be hard-used and tired. I've never found a good but cheap one, probably too many people who can't drive all searching for bikes within a small geographic area. I suspect a lot of well-off people in the leafy, pleasant to ride in areas bought some quite pricey bikes in the pre-internet era, because their budget wasn't tight but then never actually rode them that much. Those bikes reappear during garage clear outs or because someone has given up riding due to age, and there is usually nothing much wrong with them beyond having flat tyres that have seen better days. Sometimes they look to be 100% original condition, like nothing has ever been replaced in over 30 years, meaning low miles and a lack of hard use.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Buying goretex jackets every day. Absolute nonsense. I’m still using the cycle kit I bought in 2003.
I prefer to take my chances and get soaked with rain rather than sweat.

I've only worn my Halfords rain jacket twice and I've regretted it both times. My skin was literally pissing out sweat. Much better to wear a tee shirt which you can wring out once you get to work.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I think it's patience more than anything, I've bought several high quality but silly cheap machines, each time watching a lot of overpriced examples and molested junk and just sat on my hands, waiting for the right one.

I was looking at second hand back in March and April but everybody was taking the piss with the prices they were asking and they were selling like hot cakes.

One bloke near me had a three year old Boardman hybrid listed at £250 over the price of a brand new model (which wasn't available due to lockdown). It sold in hours.

When the tips are fully open again, I will do a bit of shopping. Our local tip gets quite a few abandoned nearly new Halfords cheapies. People come down here, buy a boogie board and an Apollo MTB for £150 all in and then leave them lying around on the campsite when they go back.

rivers

How far can I go?
I was hoping that Boris would carry through with his promise of de-criminalising non licence paying but it hasn't happened yet. If it did happen, it would be the end of the BBC.

That said, there is no way that the BBC can prove in a court that you were watching terrestrial telly if you chose to simply deny it.
We don't watch the BBC. No freeview, sky box, etc in our house. Just amazon prime and netflix. There is plenty to watch for free, and rentals on prime are generally pretty cheap as well (we usually rent a movie or two a month). There's also a few other free apps that came on our new tv that have loads of older shows and films as well for us to peruse at our leisure.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I suppose with all the charges that Sky, Amazon, Netflix, other subscription and pay-per-view channels charge, the BBC licence is one step too far for some people... they do a monthly direct debit too.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I suppose with all the charges that Sky, Amazon, Netflix, other subscription and pay-per-view channels charge, the BBC licence is one step too far for some people... they do a monthly direct debit too.
I'm one of those co-operative type people who does what he's told to avoid breaking the law.

It pisses me off paying the licence fee, but at the moment, I'm legally obliged to do so.

Fact is, the BBC is world renowned and sells a lot of stuff overseas so it should be turning a decent net profit and we should all be getting free access.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
But if they ditch the licence fee they still have to charge for their services... and at least then they'll get the money instead of a grant from the Government who trouser the fees.

ah, sorry... where were we on the commuting to work thread!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I prefer to take my chances and get soaked with rain rather than sweat.

I've only worn my Halfords rain jacket twice and I've regretted it both times. My skin was literally pissing out sweat. Much better to wear a tee shirt which you can wring out once you get to work.

So you haven’t been buying a goretex jacket every day. Why make that post then? Puzzling.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
So you haven’t been buying a goretex jacket every day. Why make that post then? Puzzling.
Irony mainly.

It's a thing which you can only get to grips with if you are British and you've been to twelve football matches.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Irony mainly.

It's a thing which you can only get to grips with if you are British and you've been to twelve football matches.
Have you ever noticed how people who are keen to explain what irony means almost always then show they haven't a clue what it means. There ought to be a word for that. Um... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom