does everyone fall apart at 40?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevey

Guru
Definatly not i am 48 and this is the fittest i have been ever, gave up the booze cut back on the bad foods biscuits,processed foods etc and never felt better.
Although since my accident at the end of june i have put around 9lbs back on but don't feel too bad (longest ride to date 63 miles felt fine) and once i start cycling properly again that will reduce.
So i look forward to the next few years of getting fitter and riding farther

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I can tell its damp, joins are aching .

vickster

Legendary Member
My knees started to fall apart when I came off my bike aged 37 (started with the left knee, now the right one is part way to being shot), seems to have been one thing after another since them...I am now truly 'orthopaedically challneged'!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
LOL just spotted this thread or maybe I was just ignoring it and thinking nah I`m over 40 and all is good ! Fact of the matter since I turned 40, all the knocks and ailments I have been saving up for during my years as an invincible youth have finally caught up with me! My lower back for some reason has now a dull aching pain from time time, only appeared this year? The pounds piled on alot more easily, not broke anything since I turned 40 but the effects of a very active life in my 20s and 30s are now in full effect with every creak of my aging body. I`m alot fitter than alot of my peers. Oh and I gave up shift work when i turned 40 which has in turn upped my energy levels and miles cycled so all has not been too bad!

iandg

Legendary Member
I found passing 40 was crap and it took me a few years to sort myself out. 50 was much easier and I'm more sorted now. Just need to get your head right and be positive.

Last edited:

david k

Hi
I've been going through that new patient's/new doctor's routine and it is driving me mad.

My weight & BMI have been dismissed as not applicable thankfully. My BMI came back as borderline overweight for my height but anyone who as met me will tell you I'm not overweight and thankfully as I was standing there in full lycra at the time, the nurse concerned agreed it was nonsense (I'm a size 10-12) - quite refreshing for a change but my blood test results are driving me mad. 1 test leads to another, which leads to another and another...

1st blood tests came back with 2 issues, 1 low potasium (explained by reduced adreanal gland function) & 2 slightly elevated blood sugar (yet again - it has always been borderline)
2nd blood test - repeated 8 weeks later to check on the potasium levels show they are now OK but my platelet count is low - so needs another repeat in 8 weeks time (in the new year). (this is probably explained by a viral infection - I always seem to catch something visiting the dr's.)
3rd blood test (a week today) is for blood sugar repeats but with a 2 hour stay at the Dr's. How I will come out without an unwanted 'bug' remains a mystery.

I'm a moderately severe asthmatic, but fit: my bike is my transport. healthy - seems to be up for debate!
I'm known to have reduced adreanal gland function (side effect of my asthma meds) & also have a pituitary adenoma. I also picked up a nasty dog bite earlier this year but had had the preventative rabies shots before hand and the addtional 2 shots in the required time period.

I turn 40 just after Christmas and want to know if anyone else is falling apart or is it just me?

On the morning of my 40th birthday most things stopped working

Top Bottom