does everyone fall apart at 40?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roscoe

Veteran
46 years old, High blood pressure (diagnosed age 37), mild psoraisis, wear glasses and currently having prostate problems investigated.

Other than that, cycled more miles this year than ever, stopped drinking (49 weeks ago) and have lost a stone in weight. Feel not too bad to be honest! Fingers crossed.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
44, arthritic elbow, need glasses for the cinema now, achilles tendons quite prone to injury, and intermittent back problems (though I'm currently putting that down to the guy in the bike fitting telling me to try to ride with as straight a lower back as possible). Most of my problems (elbow and ankles) were caused in my 20s and early 30s, I'm now as fit as I've ever been (with the possible exception of when I was 25, under 13 stone and doing weights, hockey and karate each three times a week - as well as some cycling :smile: ).

50 next august , my spine started falling apart a couple of years ago , but having operation in march 2015 to ( hopefully ) rectify that, severe psoriasis at the moment , mentally im still in my early twenties ...allthough mrs roadrash would say i have never grown up at all ^_^ cant complain really, plenty people worse off than me.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Or nearly the Kate Moss quote ;)

Oops! I knew it was something like that^_^

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I need reading specs nowadays, sometimes I need regular specs too but not all the time. Only when I'm tired and I get a bit of eye drift.

I have noticed that getting up after sitting on the floor is a bit more of a palava nowadays. Losing weight is harder. Long gone are the days where I skipped lunch for a week and dropped a clothes size. Although I was a right skinny effort right up until I turned 40, this last 10 years have been a bit of a trial, weight wise. I've seen pictures of my biological family, at least bio-mother's side, and they are all seriously round people. They are all really short too but I doubt that I'm suddenly going to lose 8" of height. I think there might be something genetic that I am fighting, weight wise. They all seem to have been stocky in their youth and massive from middle age. Bio-father is allegedly tall, intelligent and stocky of build.

I do have a bit of osteo arthritis in my knees and my wrist has never healed properly but I can still ride my bike, ride a horse and walk about as much as I want. So many of my friends are in right old states. One has MS, another FM, another Rhumatoid Arthritis and can no longer hold a pen, or a full cup of tea so I feel pretty blessed in comparison. I don't feel as if I am falling apart too badly.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'm 42 and am getting increasingly frustrated at the extra time it takes for things to heal. I never seem to have any injuries bad enough to require hospitalisation but I seem to lurch from one niggle to the next. This year has been mostly dodgy achilles, knees, thigh and calf muscle strains. I also note I am beginning to get haunted by old injuries more, now its getting cold I am increasingly feeling my bad left hip that I had from a bike crash about 8 years ago, that seems destined to stay with me into old age. Seems its just managed decline from here on in.

The worst thing about it is I seem to get injuries for doing nothing in particular. I did some DIY work for a friend and somewhere along the course of the week managed to do my left knee in but I dont even know how, and its only just getting back to feeling back to normal and this was nearly 3 months ago! One of my school friends has been off work for 3 weeks for slipping a disk, he pretended at first it was due to some big rock and roll lifestyle type macho thing but it turns out he did it feeding his cat, Keith Moon he aint.

Luckily my eyes still work but every day after 40 without glasses seems like I'm on borrowed time, and with my track record of breaking sunglasses I'm not sure my bank account is ready for a monthly glasses direct debits. The mind is still young but the host body is in decline, hopefully in another 20-30 years I'll be able to buy a new host body on ebay.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fitness wise, I'm pretty good again after getting back to 5 days a week commuting over 7 years ago. Since then I've had two RTA's, and one took a while to get fixed, but the latest busted ribs aren't too bad (only 2 weeks off ish). For my age (nearly 45) the ability to get up and get on is better than most folk half our age (ride your bikes folks). My tolleration of daily commutes is far better than when I was in my 20's - it's not an issue. The leg pain, lactic acid pain - none - in my 20's was a killer.

My shoulder was a mare from my RTA 5 years ago, and too much GP messing meant it went on too long. My recent 'gentlemans' issue has proved that my old GP wouldn't spend money on patients.. New GP, you need fixing ! I won't get fixed, but my GP will get me back to 'normal'.

Top Bottom