does everyone fall apart at 40?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
40 next year......

pawl

Legendary Member
I've been going through that new patient's/new doctor's routine and it is driving me mad.

My weight & BMI have been dismissed as not applicable thankfully. My BMI came back as borderline overweight for my height but anyone who as met me will tell you I'm not overweight and thankfully as I was standing there in full lycra at the time, the nurse concerned agreed it was nonsense (I'm a size 10-12) - quite refreshing for a change but my blood test results are driving me mad. 1 test leads to another, which leads to another and another...

1st blood tests came back with 2 issues, 1 low potasium (explained by reduced adreanal gland function) & 2 slightly elevated blood sugar (yet again - it has always been borderline)
2nd blood test - repeated 8 weeks later to check on the potasium levels show they are now OK but my platelet count is low - so needs another repeat in 8 weeks time (in the new year). (this is probably explained by a viral infection - I always seem to catch something visiting the dr's.)
3rd blood test (a week today) is for blood sugar repeats but with a 2 hour stay at the Dr's. How I will come out without an unwanted 'bug' remains a mystery.

I'm a moderately severe asthmatic, but fit: my bike is my transport. healthy - seems to be up for debate!
I'm known to have reduced adreanal gland function (side effect of my asthma meds) & also have a pituitary adenoma. I also picked up a nasty dog bite earlier this year but had had the preventative rabies shots before hand and the addtional 2 shots in the required time period.

I turn 40 just after Christmas and want to know if anyone else is falling apart or is it just me?
At 73 a slightly arthritic knees.Had an aortic valve replacement last year looked.on it like replacing a worn chain and cassette . Keep those legs spinning and no bits will fall of.Although it may be worthwhile carrying a bit of Gaffer tape just in case.

potsy

Rambler
40 next year......
Had to double check the date of this post, assumed it was a thread revival from the 90's :whistle:

Do you put the bag into the basket on the front of your mobility scooter:giggle:
Not yet. I have not reached the mobility scooter of inevitability.

It cheesed me off and then I realised there was a system to be beaten. Careful timing of repeat prescription can be offset against the pre-payment card and pounds saved. It requires practice, occasional suffering for a week or two, the odd moment of overstocking but the system can be worked. Cheers me up no end when I do go in.

Ian A

Über Member
Not quite at 40 yet but I'm getting fitter than I've ever been at 36. Got ill a lot when I had kids and put on weight etc but good diet and sensible exercise and I'm at a healthy weight again. I rarely take days off ill (managed three years up to last winter when I had two days off despite having three school age children and being married to a teacher) and things are going well. Admittedly it's easy to make fitness improvements at any age when you're out of shape and I've been working on endurance over speed (and got slower!) which is arguably easier at my age but I'll take the ironman I did in September as a good measure of basic fitness. If I can crack getting enough sleep things would be better.

Can I get a shout of "midlife crises" ? :dance:

A lot of it is down to luck. My wife was diagnosed with a degenerative illness a few years ago with no known cure so she is doing less well!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Being honest Col, I don't think you look 60.

Thank me later.
You haven't seen me for a while! :laugh:

I can't really get away with the old avatar photo (when I was 50) much longer. The effects of 2 years of poor health has taken its toll on my hair - it is at least 50% grey now, and the other half seems intent on falling out! (Hair loss was already happening but being on warfarin has accelerated it.)

I was going to wait until I was 60 to change the picture but I might do it soon while I still have some hair left! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom