does everyone fall apart at 40?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You haven't seen me for a while! :laugh:

I can't really get away with the old avatar photo (when I was 50) much longer. The effects of 2 years of poor health has taken its toll on my hair - it is at least 50% grey now, and the other half seems intent on falling out! (Hair loss was already happening but being on warfarin has accelerated it.)

I was going to wait until I was 60 to change the picture but I might do it soon while I still have some hair left! :thumbsup:

That's the main thing with me so far- hair's more delicate as I'm getting on.....

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
You haven't seen me for a while! :laugh:

I can't really get away with the old avatar photo (when I was 50) much longer. The effects of 2 years of poor health has taken its toll on my hair - it is at least 50% grey now, and the other half seems intent on falling out! (Hair loss was already happening but being on warfarin has accelerated it.)

I was going to wait until I was 60 to change the picture but I might do it soon while I still have some hair left! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about hair colin you can live without it, there are far more important things that can fall out/off than that :laugh:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
At 73 a slightly arthritic knees.Had an aortic valve replacement last year looked.on it like replacing a worn chain and cassette . Keep those legs spinning and no bits will fall of.Although it may be worthwhile carrying a bit of Gaffer tape just in case.
Sadly today I am in hospital for a back operation to save my chances of walking again.
There's a thread going on it... All I did was put the phone down, turn around and ruptured a disk in my back. There's a thread about it in this forum...

MarkF

Guru
I was in a terrible slob-like condition at 40, 97kg, I'd given up football due to hip problems and that's why I started cycling.

I am 52 now and about 82kg, I am in better shape than I was at 25 and I was in good shape then. This is entirely due to cycling, not manically either, leisure stuff but doing a lot of small shopping trips rather than one big one in a car. It's a miracle! ^_^

Firestorm

Veteran
I was really fit at 40/41 , did the 100m and 200m in the World vets at Gateshead, was still running southern league with blokes 15 years younger.
Then my wife left, really suddenly.
Depression, drinking , smoking took its toll over the next year or so.
Remarried a few years later and I am fine and dandy.
now at 56 I have arthritic knees and shoulders, and the usual aches and pains, but a lovely lady who has just taken to gentle cycle rides....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
47 next cake day and this last year i have definitely felt a change ( oo ! )
Arthritis in right hand has started so the thumb joint aches when its cold/damp .
Old shoulder injury now means the days of serious strength exercises are long gone and for arms its press ups and pull ups only .
More grey hair
Reading glasses
I have a physical job and i can do it but by the end of the week i have had enough , its a case of keeping going as long as i can now .

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The other day I commented on someone's nice tyres and they immediately had a puncture. Then I mentioned the nice weather and it immediately started to rain. I probably shouldn't say anything about my health, other than that I didn't fall apart at 40 ...or 45 ....or 50.

Went through a period of incredible stress between about 2006 and 2012 while working full time and having eldercare responsibilities (along with my wife) both for my mum and for her parents. Being a 21 stone middle-aged man, stressed both at home and at work, I knew I had to do something before I had a heart attack, and I really started cycling seriously at the start of 2009.

I'm still 19.5 stone, but feel as fit as I have ever been, and it is all down to cycling. OK, so at 54 I might now be bald and grey, and I've started to rely on reading glasses, but I really can't complain. I think I am something of a mystery to my GP (who I think I've only seen about 3 times in the last 10 years), as he seems to have no idea what I should weigh. Apparently I was off the graph in both axes when he tried to work out my ideal weight a few years ago and was 20+ stone and 6'6"...! I like to think of myself as being built like Jonah Lomu, rather than as 2 Jocky Wilsons on top of each other.

I shall just count my blessings and carry on cycling for as long as I can. Best wishes and good luck to those of you who have not been so fortunate. Some of you have been an inspiration to me over the last few months since I joined Cyclechat, and i wish you all well.

Top Bottom