Does having a "ladies" bike make a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I've just ordered a mountain bike on bike to work scheme.

I tried alot of different bikes - the mens 15" felt like i was stretching too far - the womens 15" felt far more comfortable.

I think the plan is to try a few, have a test ride and see what feels right.

vickster

Legendary Member
It depends how tall the woman is it seems - all of the discussions I have had recently with LBSs centred around if the woman is 5'5 or below, then there is some value in a ladies-specific frame, over 5'5 the difference in body shape, length etc is less different between men and women, although women generally do have proportionally longer legs.

The one thing that is definitely a must is a ladies' saddle but that's an easy £30 swap

I am 5'10, not exactly skinny and needed a shorter stem and narrower bars on my new road bike (54.5cm frame). I also ride an XL Sirrus, feels big, have also swapped to a shorter stem. Both bikes have women's saddles, men's ones are uncomfortable

Sara_H

Guru
It depends how tall the woman is it seems - all of the discussions I have had recently with LBSs centred around if the woman is 5'5 or below, then there is some value in a ladies-specific frame, over 5'5 the difference in body shape, length etc is less different between men and women, although women generally do have proportionally longer legs.

The one thing that is definitely a must is a ladies' saddle but that's an easy £30 swap

I am 5'10, not exactly skinny and needed a shorter stem and narrower bars on my new road bike (54.5cm frame). I also ride an XL Sirrus, feels big, have also swapped to a shorter stem. Both bikes have women's saddles, men's ones are uncomfortable

The key may well be height - I'm 5'4" and definitely felt the difference.

deaksie

Ladies Bike V Mans Bike - Simples :biggrin:

OI!
biggrin.gif

deaksie

in all seriousness, as everyone else has said, it is about what fits you as an individual - the ladies bikes are generally shorter distance between handlebars and saddle, but all that said, i have 2 men's mountain bikes and I'm 5'6 - i just got on my bike and "knew" it was my bike tho. i'd say try out as many as you can - I spent 3 months borrowing friends' bikes, and walking around bike shops before i found the right one......
good luck to your mum
L x

Top Bottom