Does having a "ladies" bike make a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

As far as I know, women's bikes tend to have shorter top tubes so that the reach from saddle to handlebars is shorter. This being (apparently) because, proportionately, women tend to have shorter bodies in relation to their overall height than men. Lots of women do, of course ride men's bikes and find it fine. Personally I find the reach too long on mens bikes, and therefore ride a woman's one (in spite of it having uckky pink bits on it in places).

Try both and see which suits you better. Womens saddles are generlaly wider than mens as we have wider 'sit bones', but you can always get a blokes bike and change the saddle if that's what suits you best.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There's nothing wide about *my* sit bones, thank you very much!

*hides chocolate wrappers*

;)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
As far as I know, women's bikes tend to have shorter top tubes so that the reach from saddle to handlebars is shorter. This being (apparently) because, proportionately, women tend to have shorter bodies in relation to their overall height than men. Lots of women do, of course ride men's bikes and find it fine. Personally I find the reach too long on mens bikes, and therefore ride a woman's one (in spite of it having uckky pink bits on it in places).

Try both and see which suits you better. Womens saddles are generlaly wider than mens as we have wider 'sit bones', but you can always get a blokes bike and change the saddle if that's what suits you best.
I must have a Ladies Bum then :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another point about a ladies frame is that some of my friends are now starting to have niggly hips and have chosen step through frames because of this. I think the smaller you are the more important the WSD geometry is, currently I'm happy on my bike which is a man's bike.

julesdavis1965

i am getting a ladies frame bike soon with basket and mudguards. i cant get my leg over a mans frame lol (i find it awkward ) i dont like the "mud up the back " look (hence mudguards) my bikes got a nice chunky saddle, comfort not speed i fear lol, then again i won't be riding with my bum in the air.. and a basket for the shopping or picnic. (i'm 46 year old granny to 4) i think best advice is try a few different things and get whats comfortable and useful , my daughter wouldn't be seen dead on the bikes i like or vice versa but whatever your mum does ,enjoy herself :smile:

pepecat

There's nothing wide about *my* sit bones, thank you very much!

*hides chocolate wrappers*

;)

Lol!!!

pepecat

I'm 5' 6" but have rather long legs for my height (take a 30 inch leg trouser), so whilst i can 'get my leg over' a blokes bike without any problem, I can't reach the handlebars properly, let alone use the brakes! :tongue:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm 5' 6" but have rather long legs for my height (take a 30 inch leg trouser), so whilst i can 'get my leg over' a blokes bike without any problem, I can't reach the handlebars properly, let alone use the brakes! :tongue:

Meep, if you have long legs for your height, I'm definitely all skewif (how *do* you spell that, btw?) - 29-30" trouser legs but only 5'2...

lesley_x

Über Member

laugh.gif

lesley_x

Über Member
Another point about a ladies frame is that some of my friends are now starting to have niggly hips and have chosen step through frames because of this. I think the smaller you are the more important the WSD geometry is, currently I'm happy on my bike which is a man's bike.

Agree with this.

I'm 5 foot 5 on a 52cm frame. I think if I had been much smaller I would have struggled to get a mans bike.

I have quite a long back though, perhaps that's why I don't struggle with reach.

I don't know if they weren't fitting me right on women's bikes, but I felt so scrunched up on them. Or maybe I'm just manly :tongue:

Oxo

Guru
My good lady has a Trek FX. Her model has frame geometry suited to her build (shorter reach etc), a ladies saddle and slightly lower gearing than the equivalent man's model.

apollo179

Oh dont get me started on niggly hips girlfreind !
(aside to stage left - "what the heck are niggly hips ?)

Top Bottom