Does listening to music pose a safety risk?

Do you think cycling while listening to music poses a potential safety risk?

• Yes

Votes: 52 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 32.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PDIstudent

Hi, I'm a 4th year Product Design and Innovation student, I'm currently working on a project to develop an aid for joggers/cyclists who train on the streets while listening to their ipod/music and was wondering if I could get some feedback from this forum. I'm looking to develop a product which can be used during the training routine of a rperson focusing out on the street, during the day/night and especially looking at people who train while listening to their ipod/music.

So my question is: what problems do you come across while you are out cycling on the street/roads and listening to music?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and will help towards my project.

Thanks

Craig

OP
OP
P

PDIstudent

Hi, I'm a 4th year Product Design and Innovation student, I'm currently working on a project to develop an aid for joggers/cyclists who train on the streets while listening to their ipod/music and was wondering if I could get some feedback from this forum. I'm looking to develop a product which can be used during the training routine of a rperson focusing out on the street, during the day/night and especially looking at people who train while listening to their ipod/music.

So my question is: what problems do you come across while you are out cycling on the street/roads and listening to music?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and will help towards my project.

Thanks

Craig

Norm

Couldn't decide whether this should be in research or headphone debates. Gone with the former but I feel it will inevitably degenerate into the latter.

Trail Child

I think so. Not only can't I hear anyone coming from behind me, I am also not paying attention to anything (personally). I think that is key to developing any product - I'm switching off a bit from my surroundings (IMO) & I don't see any product that will make me more alert. I'm sure there are riders that such a product will help attentiveness.

I actually like riding in quiet, especially in rural areas.

OP
OP
P

PDIstudent

I think it is a potential safety risk... but I cant tell you what problems I have as I don't partake.
Thanks, do you have any cyclist friends you know that do cycle with headphones on, just looking to see if many (if any) cyclists do this?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
possibly but to offer immediate help I'd suggest the removal of a sense from the road (of hearing) is a big one. If you could allow music to play loudly enough to enjoy whilst still retaining the ability to hear vehicles around you that would be a neat trick.

green1

Über Member
Yes do it everytime I get on the bike, to help remove wind noise ( got tinnitus in one ear and wind noise makes it considerably worse). Any design that helps to further reduce wind noise would have me interested.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cannot hear traffic noise, especially from behind. I use my ears almost as much as my eyes when commuting. So I never ever cycle in headphones or ear buds. Honestly if I wanted to listen to music I'd stay home or drive a car.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The issue of hearing people behind you has already been solved with audiobone which uses the resonance of the skull to transfer the sound while leaving the ear canals open to hear traffic around them.
not sure what you can do more than this

audiobone_use.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I tired something similar for swimming a few years ago and wasn't impressed. Granted the action of swimming is more isolating in itself but the sound from the bone-phones was pretty poor.

green1

Über Member
The issue of hearing people behind you has already been solved with audiobone which uses the resonance of the skull to transfer the sound while leaving the ear canals open to hear traffic around them.
not sure what you can do more than this
Won't cut wind noise.

Top Bottom