Does listening to music pose a safety risk?

Do you think cycling while listening to music poses a potential safety risk?

• Yes

Votes: 52 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 32.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I personally don't do it (have tried but found it too distracting). So obviously I voted 'yes' as I think it can be a risk. If others don't find the same then that's there call and I've no problem with that.

I found that it's not just about being able to hear stuff on the road (I accept the arguments on that point) but if I'm listening to something then I am listening to it, it's not just noise in my ears. This means my full attention is not on what is happening around me. And conversely, if I'm not listening to it and it is just a noise in my ears then I'd rather not have it anyway. So again, a distraction.

Same on my motorbike. The noise of wind and engine means you don't really hear anything else but,even so, music (or whatever) is for me a no-no since it takes my attention away from the road.

Guess it depends largely on where you cycle: for me, I used to listen to it whilst comuting to work... up single track country lanes with little to no traffic - tractors tend to be noisier than anything else and anyone seeing me always waited in a passing place (becuase they knew I would do the same for them), so full attention to the road was not essential, especially when it was dark.

So I guess we can all agree, that the answer to the issue of earphones is rear view mirrors. Glad we got there in the end.

pac-man

I answered No. but only use earphones not gel ear buds, the reason is i find ear buds block out far to much ambient sound / audio triggers,
music volume is a important factor, as i always insure i am able to hear the traffic (normally tire sound as opposed to engines/ exhaust)

Of course the argument is it serves as an additional distraction, but surly the same can be said about in car audio/satnav.
careful/considerate drivers ensure they are spacious and concentrated awareness of the surroundings, as are careful/considerate cyclists.

there are plenty of careless drivers on the roads, but on the flip side, there are many careless cyclists also.
we are all quick to criticize a car/van/truck driving without lights etc in poor visibility, but i've seen many cyclists early morning or dusk without any lights on, and cars driving with dipped beam or side lights.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have 100% loss in one ear & 30% deficient in certain ranges in the other, so are you who are saying that riders should not listen to music also suggesting I should not ride?

Alan...

lulubel

Über Member
I voted "yes", after having nearly been knocked off my bike by another cyclist who swerved towards me just as I was passing her, despite my having called out a greeting. She was wearing earphones.

Drago

Legendary Member
A mate of mine was cycling to work listening to The F.C.C. On his headphones and he had a coronary (honest!)

He did survive, but to have something like that happen while listening to music is conclusive proof it's dangerous.

D

Deleted member 26715

A mate of mine was cycling to work listening to The F.C.C. On his headphones and he had a coronary (honest!)

He did survive, but to have something like that happen while listening to music is conclusive proof it's dangerous.
Was he pedalling at the time? I've heard that's very dangerous especially uphill

Alan...

jann71

Veteran
Saw a thing on ebay earlier while looking through cycling accessories called "bike speaker bag". It a small case which holds mp3 player etc and then plays music through speaker built in to case.

PK99

Legendary Member
I have 100% loss in one ear & 30% deficient in certain ranges in the other, so are you who are saying that riders should not listen to music also suggesting I should not ride?

Alan...

people with a sensory loss develop other skills to compensate.

A friend was captain for a blind French stoker through central london to the Olympic park as part of the Olympics build up. The guy asked what various sounds were: black cab, double decker bus etc etc, only needed to ask once and (from the conversation) had a very clear 3-d map in his head of the things he could hear around him - far more than a sighted person does - and was instantly identifying the "new" objects he heard.

No doubt your visual observational skills are better than a person with full hearing who is used to balancing their various inputs

Top Bottom