Does my chainset need changing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
upload_2017-7-23_15-41-26.png

Needless to say the rest is equally worn - teeth on the sprocket pretty spike-like, chain maybe 1/8" over the 12" mark, but...it all still works, fine. So should I change it? Or just not fix it on account of it's not broke?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's bad. I change way before it gets like that. New chain ring, chain and sprocket.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If running fixed gear, get it changed. You can have a nasty accident if the chain jammed or came off at speed.
I am running fixed, but is the chain any more likely to jam or come off? I'm not being contrary for the sake of it; I'm just not sure what I'd actually gain by not 'running it into the ground'? Obviously I'm not interested in compromising safety, but is safety at issue? Like I say, it still rides fine, and I make sure to keep the tension ok. So...is there a downside?

lpretro1

Prob the main danger is the chain starts to slip under load and you plant your face onto your bars or delicate parts onto the crossbar!

D

Deleted member 1258

I am running fixed, but is the chain any more likely to jam or come off? I'm not being contrary for the sake of it; I'm just not sure what I'd actually gain by not 'running it into the ground'? Obviously I'm not interested in compromising safety, but is safety at issue? Like I say, it still rides fine, and I make sure to keep the tension ok. So...is there a downside?

I stopped running fixed chains into the ground many years ago when I broke one, spectacular but fortunately at low speed, the broken chain wrapped round the rear hub and locked the back wheel up.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I stopped running fixed chains into the ground many years ago when I broke one, spectacular but fortunately at low speed, the broken chain wrapped round the rear hub and locked the back wheel up.
Ooh. Now that gets my attention! How to you decide when to change them now?

D

Deleted member 1258

Ooh. Now that gets my attention! How to you decide when to change them now?

I tend to change them annually, or when they get rough and noisy, I do 2-2500 miles a year. The last one I bought was a Halford's cheapy and it barely lasted 7 months.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just to be clear - you just need to change the chain ring, not the chainset.
It's a one-piece jobby - when it goes, it goes. Also, the whole drive chain's so worn I take it as read that when I do push the button it'll be a question of changing the whole lot - chainset, chain & sprocket.

It's never got rough & noisy. I probably do more like 1000 miles a year nowadays, and I do look after it reasonably well - regular clean/lube and that. As a rough guide, I'd say the chain is a bit shy of 1/8th" over at the 12" mark. So, worn, but not ridickerluss, I'd have thought.

Top Bottom