Does Stiffness Matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
According to most women, yes.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Leaving all the silly childish innuendo aside, I think it probably makes chuff all difference unless you are at the very top of the game where it 'might' have a tiny impact that could be the difference between a 1st or 2nd place in the sprint for the finish line in a race.
For most (and by most I mean 99.9% of the cycling population) it will make no difference, but could hugely affect bike comfort, which will in a roundabout way have an effect on performance. So a 'stiffer' bike may actually have a negative impact.
I say all this assuming we are not including bikes that are so uselessly soggy that the brakes will rub during periods of intense effort (and obviously a set of suitable wheels will be needed too), we aren't including such bikes are we?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Maybe not quite what's being asked but my first "proper" bike used to flex badly at the back if I had heavy panniers on - this was thr frame itself not just the (possibly poor) pannier rack. My admittedly rather heavy thorn with substantial rack nor my much lighter condor fixie suffers from this. Although swayed (see what I did there?) by luggage related experience I am convinced that sideways flex feels vaguely odd and is undesirable. Efficiency, well dunno as I guess the loss is relatively low, but still not summat I'd want

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If (like me) you have ever commuted on a full suspension, eventually, as the bushings start to wear, the rear end starts to "snake"

When switching to the GT Avalanche (which was like riding an anvil) there was a world of difference

D

Deleted member 1258

In the 1990's I had two 531 framed bikes, the Dawes was stiff and I didn't notice flex at all, the Raleigh did flex noticeably at the back at max effort, I don't remember this impacting performance but the Raleigh required a touch more effort at times when I was riding it.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
So if you were to put the same effort in with the Dawes, then would you have gained in performance?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
When I had hair and a 30" waist, my main race bike was an Alan with a 23.5" frame. It flexed. A lot. To me it felt springy as if each flex had a reaction that fired me up the hills. I was a fairly good climber.

I did rides and times on that bike that I haven't come close to since. I reckon the marketing people are the ones putting all the emphasis on stiffness.

Top Bottom