Does this look as it should

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mart79

Been doing some small adjustments to the derailer using the 2 screws and the adjuster on the gear selector on the handle bar, managed to get every gear up and down, it couldn't be any better aligned with each cog in the cassette, however the chain persists in jumping out, the chain did slip off the cassette altogether at one point so adjusted the limit screw to stop that. Looking at the cassette itself................ As you slowly rotate the pedal with the bike raised off the ground, the 2nd smallest cog looks like there's adequate spacing, however as you watch it rotate, the spacing seems to get thinner/closer at one particular part, as said I am no expert, but that suggests the issue lies with the cassette itself??

OP
OP
M

Mart79

The more I look at the alignment the more I'm convinced the rear cassette is out of alignment with the front. Looking down the bike from the front. It looks as if there is a very slight angle when the chain is in the front biggest cog and the smallest rear cog. Possibly causing the chain to rub and catch the 2nd smallest cog

The spacing change happens between what and what? Two possibilities spring to mind, assuming no impact damage.
1) The cassette is loose due to untightened lockring or missing spacer.
2) The smallest sprocket is actually not properly fitted to the freehub.
Otherwise, I can't visualise where the variation might be happening. Mooch around and make a few posts, then you can add pictures!
And :welcome:

Top Bottom