Does your body tell you how to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

Conversley, Ive never been fitter in my life, going to the gym and not much cycling.

My technique and stamina has gone to pot!

Blue

Legendary Member
The only times I ignore what my body is saying are during the sprint for the 30mph sign on the way back into my home town and when I get that "don't bother today" feeling at the beginning of some rides.

I think the standing on the pedals thing is a sign that your respiratory efficiency is failing and your legs are getting weaker. An age thing.

Now is there anything else I can help you with?

I'm a stander of the first order............

stevenb

simon l& and a half said:
I think the standing on the pedals thing is a sign that your respiratory efficiency is failing and your legs are getting weaker. An age thing.

I assume your humouring us all???xx(

I approach hills in accordance with how far into the ride I am. No point in killing yourself on the 1st hill out on a long ride.
Feel your legs and keep a comfy cadence. Monitor your heart rate too.
I can get up hills sitting and riding a lower gear just as fast as my mate can when he's in a bigger gear and standing on the pedals.....and its easier on your heart rate...therefore preserving energy.
Of course I do stand up on occasions and grind out a bigger gear up a hill....mainly when I'm going fast and I don't want to lose the inertia.:smile:

My 2p.:smile:

Chris James

Über Member
Depends how long the hill is and how long I am riding for.

A short rise on a quick short run and I'll be out of the saddle honking up. This is much less efficient than twiddling up the hill (your bike sways all over the place, you use energy in rocking your arms and body driving your heart rate higher than it woudl be otherwise), but can be much quicker.

But for long hills I always change early and low.

Top Bottom