1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your body tell you how to ride?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 23 Jun 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I've been trying to get out at least a couple of nights a week on the bike, and it's making me more aware of how I ride.

My technique for long climbs has always been to pick an easy gear, sit down and wind it out slowly. More recently though I've found myself a couple of gears higher and standing on the pedals. All unconsciously. It feels like my body is moving me on to the next step as my legs are getting stronger.

2. Smeggers

Smeggers New Member

Conversley, Ive never been fitter in my life, going to the gym and not much cycling.

My technique and stamina has gone to pot!

3. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I just push until I hurt then I push less and change to a lower gear

4. ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot Secret Lemonade Drinker

I just get as gooda run up as I can, changing down as the gradient rises to keep the cadence up, then when it gets hard shift up and stand up and grind. Does that make sense?

5. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Ditto wot Comedy Pilot said...

6. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

On occasions, I've heard it shout 'WTF do ya think you're doing?' :smile:

7. Blue

Blue Legendary Member

The only times I ignore what my body is saying are during the sprint for the 30mph sign on the way back into my home town and when I get that "don't bother today" feeling at the beginning of some rides.

8. simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half New Member

I think the standing on the pedals thing is a sign that your respiratory efficiency is failing and your legs are getting weaker. An age thing.

Now is there anything else I can help you with?

I'm a stander of the first order............

9. stevenb

stevenb New Member

I assume your humouring us all???xx(

I approach hills in accordance with how far into the ride I am. No point in killing yourself on the 1st hill out on a long ride.
    Feel your legs and keep a comfy cadence. Monitor your heart rate too.
    I can get up hills sitting and riding a lower gear just as fast as my mate can when he's in a bigger gear and standing on the pedals.....and its easier on your heart rate...therefore preserving energy.
    Of course I do stand up on occasions and grind out a bigger gear up a hill....mainly when I'm going fast and I don't want to lose the inertia.:smile:

My 2p.:smile:

10. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

Depends how long the hill is and how long I am riding for.

A short rise on a quick short run and I'll be out of the saddle honking up. This is much less efficient than twiddling up the hill (your bike sways all over the place, you use energy in rocking your arms and body driving your heart rate higher than it woudl be otherwise), but can be much quicker.

But for long hills I always change early and low.

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Hills should be attacked, the easy riding bit is for flat or downhill sections!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!