Does your workplace have a problem with sickies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I worked in the steel trade it was quite common for some of my work colleagues to take their thirteen weeks sick leave annually, they knew how to work the system and always had sick notes etc, i reckon they were on good terms with their local gp, probably shared the same local boozer or something.
13 weeks a year?? Almost as much as teachers.....

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 4149370, member: 43827"]Nobody on this site take any unwarranted sickies then?

Must be all that cycling keeping us healthy. :angel:[/QUOTE]

Nope. Only been "off ill" when actually been ill.

the Bradford scoring system penalises those who take the odd day off here and there as they need it. which is sometimes all we need. that extra day to get over things properly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Factor

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah - that used to drive me nuts when I worked in an office. "Look at me, I'm sooooo important. *sniff* *cough*. And look how I suffer for the good of the firm. *sniff*." "Oh piss off and come back when you're well." They never did though - martyrs to the end.
"To the end"? Did they try to work through something that became slightly fatal, or did someone in the office finally tire of them and go postal?

the Bradford scoring system penalises those who take the odd day off here and there as they need it. which is sometimes all we need. that extra day to get over things properly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Factor
Arrrrrrrrrrgh! The Bradford Factor should probably be wiped from the space-time continuum as one of the most self-defeating illness management policies ever. If you think you're well enough, go back to work and get called back once or twice for further tests, that's a disaster for your Bradford Factor. What I've read suggests it was meant to be a metric to help managers identify and investigate, not the basis of penalty regimes used to get rid of workers before they are diagnosed with a long-term illness.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think historically public sector workers have it far harder than the self employed or private sector workers, stress and illness wise. Makes me glad I am self employed.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have been ill at times and I am self employed, just that I do not want to be homeless again and without pay that is or was a possibilty at times. I am sure that nobody would ever take time off of work if they were not genuinely ill.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm rarely sick but have had time off following operations. Next will be in March when shoulder surgery will take me out for 2 weeks minimum. Unfortunately I'll be between work contracts, so no pay. Physio reckons I should be off for 6-8 weeks but I'm going with the surgeon's two weeks!!

Id say in my experience the vast majority of people I've worked with are more likely to drag themselves to work when they shouldn't!

Cubist

Still wavin'
As a manager you soon learn to spot patterns in sickness absences. We have a criteria for sickness management, ten days or more than two separate periods of absence. Anyone absent for more than seven days becomes the subject of a management plan, which is genuinely supportive. Longterm sickness kicks in various referrals to occupational health for more intensive support and an action plan based on an assumption of return to work.

I was off sick from late April to mid august after my fall. Unfit to work in the workplace I am currently working from home, desperately trying to give some sort of value for money, but as my current prognosis is that I won't be fit to work before my retirement date I've been referred for ill health retirement.

midlife

Guru
First day off sick recently, first time in 15 years.

Our employee sickness rates I think are average of 15 sick days per year with 6-8% of the workforce off sick at any one time. Lots of staff have 2 weeks sick off a year to stay below the radar......

Shaun

screenman

Legendary Member
First day off sick recently, first time in 15 years.

Our employee sickness rates I think are average of 15 sick days per year with 6-8% of the workforce off sick at any one time. Lots of staff have 2 weeks sick off a year to stay below the radar......

Shaun

That seems a lot of days off, what type of work?

Top Bottom