Dog Arthritis. Anyone have any helpful tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hello all.

My lovely old labrador (age 9) suffered a slipped disc almost two years ago. He gradually recovered, though hasn't ever fully recovered, having continued to have a limp in his back left leg.

Anyhow, over the last 2 -3 months, he seemed to age quite dramatically. He's stopped jumping up to steal things off the kitchen counter top, started lagging behind during walks and just seemed generally glum.

I took him to the vets, thinking that he may have developed arthritis in his spine as we were warned he was more at risk after his slipped disc. Was surprised when the vet after examining him said he's got arthritis in his spine and his front two legs.

He's been started on metacam, a canine anti-inflammatory which seems to be working well for him. I was wondering if any CycleChatter's had any experience with arthritic dogs and have any tips for helping my old pal feel more comfortable?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
My mother gave her elderly sheepdog a cod liver oil capsule everyday when she started to show signs of arthritis. Seemed to work though YMMV. My understanding is that exercise should be little and often to keep the dog active without putting too much stress on the limbs.

Hope your fella gets his spark back asap.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
My mother gave her elderly sheepdog a cod liver oil capsule everyday when she started to show signs of arthritis. Seemed to work though YMMV. My understanding is that exercise should be little and often to keep the dog active without putting too much stress on the limbs.

Hope your fella gets his spark back asap.

TBH, he's been breaking my heart! I know I've written many times in these forums about what a lunatic he is, his life has been such a whirlwind of naughtyness and misadventure.
I never thought the day would come where I'd be saddened by him being sedate and well behaved! Thankfully, the drugs are really helping, but I'd like to do as much as I'm able to help him.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I guess it's partly accepting change and making sure he's happy as he is now rather than comparing him to his youthful self. Got this to come, dreading it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Our Welsh Springer is being put down on Monday. She's 13, got chronic arthritis and is losing control of her motions, in addition she's now got a problem keeping food down. We'll be very sad to see her go but can't let her go on suffering like this.

On the subject of arthritis, it's quite common in older dogs and in my own experience there is very little you can do once it sets in properly. We've tried all sorts with previous dogs, the aforementioned cod liver oil tablets, copper check chains etc, but none seemed to have done anything. It's worth trying though as some people have found one or two of these remedies have made a difference.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When our dear departed Jack Russell had joint problems we used to fill the bath with warm water and let her paddle and float around which she seemed to enjoy.However fitting a Labrador in a bath could be a problem.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cod liver oil capsules should help and ask the vet about special 'older dog' food and wether weight could be reduced, (I don't know how hefty the dog is but Labradors can run to fat as they age) cos that reduces the strain on the joints.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A lady in the woods swore by a daily dose of glucosamine sulphate. I give our hound 1/4 of the tabs I take, with her evening meal every day. Don't know if it helps, but worth a try, I'd have thought. Sorry to hear about your lab. It is heartrending when they start going iffy. Hope you find a solution.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Cod liver oil capsules should help and ask the vet about special 'older dog' food and wether weight could be reduced, (I don't know how hefty the dog is but Labradors can run to fat as they age) cos that reduces the strain on the joints.
He's in quite good shape actually. His weight has always been quite stable. He weighs about 27kg at the moment and is a perfect labrador shape.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
When our 14 year old cat came in one morning limping badly last year we were obviously worried so we took her to the vet.She diagnosed early arthritis and recommended Seraquin.
We gave her one tablet a day and within a week she was jumping about like a young un.I really would urge you to look up Seraquin for dogs on Amazon.It's not too expensive and it does work,just give it a week or so to start working.
What have you got to lose?

MarkF

Guru
821dog-on-wheels.jpg

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru

It may come to that yet, will need a hitch to pull him behind the bike though!
When our 14 year old cat came in one morning limping badly last year we were obviously worried so we took her to the vet.She diagnosed early arthritis and recommended Seraquin.
We gave her one tablet a day and within a week she was jumping about like a young un.I really would urge you to look up Seraquin for dogs on Amazon.It's not too expensive and it does work,just give it a week or so to start working.
What have you got to lose?
Thanks, just ordered some.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This could be an old wives tale but I was to told a raw egg with milk two/three times a week helps.

I give that to my two, at the very least the dogs love it!

Basil.B

Guru
Used to give my dog cod liver oil tablets.
Not sure if they did any good but kept her coat nice and glossy.
She lived to a good age too, 16 years old.
Was active up to the day she died.

compo

Veteran
I have experience of a supplement called DLPA, available from Holland and Barratt or any number of online sellers. A vet recommended it to me when I was waiting for surgery on my spine several years ago and I couldn't bend down to lift my dog onto his examination table. He said he uses it on arthritic horses. It isn't a quick fix, and was about 6 weeks before I noticed an improvement but I was eventually perfectly pain free with much improved mobility in my back. I still had the operation though. When my lurcher later developed arthritic hips I put him on it and he also made a good improvement, although his rabbiting days were pretty well curtailed.

Top Bottom