Dog owners ... advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Our last 2 dogs (one was a lab/collie cross, the other is a staffie cross) have both thrived on Wagg Worker Complete- high in protein and carbs, low in fat. The collie cross would gulp down her entire days food in one sitting, the staffie cross takes his time with it and goes back to his bowl a couple of times a day.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My Collie has Hills dry food (kibbles) in various flavours she loves it. You can find it online easily enough.

upload_2015-2-1_11-23-34.jpeg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My jack Russell/Shi tzu eats Baker's complete mixed with Asda Hero beef or chicken sachets. We've tried different but he's settled on them I saw a programme a while ago where they analysed different dog foods from unmarked packages. The cheapest(smart price)came second best though they said it had the most cereal content of the lot.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You should always do what the policeman says ;-)

Happy healthy and eating then take the recommendations on the bag as just that recommendations not instructions. Each dog is an individual

Reactions: gbb

buggi

Bird Saviour
Thought I'd post this here, tried to join a dog forum and people keep trying to meet me in lay-bys flashing their interior lights :stop:

I have a 4 month old lab/collie cross. Really lovely nature, really energetic and playful etc.

My wife was feeding her Bakers until about a week ago when I researched dog food and realised it was crap. I've weaned her over to Wainwrights and she is eating it but just nothing like the quantities it says on the bag. She's still full of energetic and normal (!) but I'm not sure if she is eating enough.

Was about to buy a 15kg bag for £42 to save money but now I'm not so sure.

Any advice? It's my first dog so very inexperienced.
It should say on the back of the pack what is normal or phone your local vet and they will tell you. You are right, bakers is really fatty, like feeding fast food everyday. She should be on puppy version of any brand of food for a good few months yet, big breeds are classed as puppies for longer than small breeds.
Don't listen to pets at home staff unless it is the vet in there, you would not believe the dumb ass advice I heard one member of staff tell a woman. It's worth a whole thread on its own.

gbb

Legendary Member
Every dog has different needs and requirements, my latest lab prospers on simple Asda canned meat and cheap mixer, occasionally slightly more expensive mixer or complete dried food and a little gravy.
My previous lab was incredibly fussy.
Our vet said find what they like...and dont change it...ever. If the dog puts on or loses too much weight, simply increase or decrease the feed.
A guy I know feeds his expensive dogs almost exclusively on chicken..he claims there's too much toxins in processed dog food..which may well be true.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Highly recommend this pet forum and there is a whole article on dry foods and their nutrients.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/

Bakers is pretty rubbish. Full of colours and additives.

If you don't mind buying your food online, I find Zooplus very good and has a huge variety from the cheaper ranges to very high quality stuff if you have the pennies. Some of the German brands like Markhus Muhle are a nice middle priced food and seems to get excellent reviews.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/

Saluki

World class procrastinator
HI

Wainwrights is great food. We feed James Welbeloved here as my lot love it.
If your pup is not losing weight, and enjoying the food, all is well. Pups grow at a phenomenal rate so follow the directions on the packet. If pup leaves it, just take it away after 20 minutes and put it down at the next meal time.

I have a 6 month old Lurcher pup and he'll stuff anything you put in front of him and is growing like fury (but not getting fat). Just keep an eye on your pup's weight and don't worry.

Well done on ditching the Bakers. I spend a lot of work time, explaining to clients that their dogs might well have the skin conditions that they have due to the food that they feed their pets. 9/10 its the dreaded bakers. Interestingly, the ones that switch (Just had 2 owners move to Autarkey food) and the itching has stopped quickly and, a month on, the skin is looking better, as is the dog's coat).

I work with dogs, have done since leaving school in 1980. Feel free to PM me if you would like any random bits of advice.

Another Burns user here, well the dog, not me. Go by weight guide and just monitor their weight and energy. Pups need more protein, I think we used a higher protein meal while he was growing but moved off it to Burns because he began to put on weight and a lower protein kibble seems better for him but they are all different. If you change feed, do it gradually by mixing it in to the old stuff.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Don't ask a vet for dog food advice, they all act as agents for expensive dog food companies.

If the dog looks well and has energy I wouldn't worry too much about it.

We started our lab off on autarky kibble for his first couple of years, but he suddenly went off it.

He's been on supermarket brand dry food since then, he's happy and healthy. Can't ask for more than that.
Wot she sed.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We got recommended Hills as well, and el doggio seems keen - and is very healthy and puppyish (people remark on it) for her age. When I was googling around in the early days with a query like yours, it seemed to be the one brand that no-one had a bad word to say about. I generally get it in the big bags from this bunch - they send out 10% off offers every now & again, which helps keep the cost down. (I don't think it's that much costlier in any case.)

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I also have a Collie x lab (well retreiver)
Lovely dog with endless amounts of energy.
We don't work him but was advised to feed him on Gain Greyhound food. We started feeding him this at about 3 months old, mixing with warm water and he's still on it now and loves it and he's in great shape with a nice glossy coat. Started him on 3 times a day and now he's only twice daily at nearly 9 months. £12 for a 15kg bag i think.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Thanks for the advice everybody. 2 weeks on new food and she's eating well and poo is a liftable consistency :bravo:

Life is changing but I'm enjoying it. Have the kids and dog outdoors more and more so finding o need things like a new jacket and sensible walking boots. I think possibly I've hit middle age ha ha

The thing I need to sort now is transportation in the car. I've got a Xsara Picasso and have removed the parcel shelf, but she jumps through. Should I invest in a set of bars or should I just train her to lie still in the boot?

The other thing is that if I put bars up and make the boot hers, what about when we're all out at the weekend and get the shopping - she'll likely eat it and we'll have nowt to eat! Any dog/food/boot solutions out there??

Top Bottom