Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I run with mine, an English Cocker Spaniel. He'll quite easily do 20 miles with me, cross country, off lead. Thing with him is.... I do know my dog. He'll actively avoid anything he doesn't know that's larger than a Jack Russell. He'll run to heel at command.
Off lead he gets more exercise.
The other thing about being of lead is, he can get out of situations. If I get followed by a herd of bulls or there's another dog, an aggressive or overfriendly one, he can get away. I've often seen situations where one dogs been trying to get away from another and the owner has it, trapped, on a lead. Wrapping itself round its owners legs.
There's good owners and bad owners, sometimes a dog being off lead is perfectly fine. Just remember, as with horses, it's nice to have warning someones approaching. A cough or a bell.
BTW - 'Alsations' gone the same way as 'Road Tax', incorrect terminology. They're GSDs, German Shepherds. The name reverted well back before I got my first, over 20 years ago.

akb

Veteran
BTW - 'Alsations' gone the same way as 'Road Tax', incorrect terminology. They're GSDs, German Shepherds. The name reverted well back before I got my first, over 20 years ago
Fair enough. Learn something new everyday. OT, but any reason why the change? Just curious.

I'm the same as Gambette; although I dont run but take my English Springer out through the woods on the MTB. Its quite nice being on the MTB coming up to other dogs; most people get hold of their own dogs whilst Olly and I sail past. No confrontation. Its all in the nature of the dog and how they have been raised from puppy.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
In this instance, the Rotty is doing what I assume it has been trained and bred to do. Protect. It is the owners responsibility to ensure that this level of protection is controlled. Plenty of farms around my way with Rottys and Alsatians on the loose. That is what they are there for. They protect valuable farm equipment.
meh...I'm not sure...more likely they are simply chasing the pretty orange ball.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Apologies for my incorrect terminology. German shepherd it is then. Voof! Agreed that most of the time it's the owners at fault for having phsycho dogs. We've got a Staffy and he's anything but aggressive. Pushy, stubborn, cheeky, yes. (He's at that age - got him as a rescued puppy about a year ago). My main gripe is with owners who just don't care. On a canal walk we came across a huge thing with big teeth, and on approaching we asked if it was ok with other dogs. "Not really" was the reply. Owner carried on sitting in his deck chair smoking his fag and told his wife to get hold of the beast. Her response was she didn't want to in case he went for her again. Only then did he get up and take control of the situation and allow us, and our dog on his lead, to pass safely. Bring back dog licenses?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Fair enough. Learn something new everyday. OT, but any reason why the change? Just curious.

OK basically it was 'GSD'
Post WWII, nobody wanted to buy anything German, so the name was changed to Alsation, after the Alsace (SP?) area.
Eventually, changing it back was just putting it right. For a while it was (and sometimes still is written as "GSD (Alsation)"
I can remember people going on about whether one was long haired and the other short.
All the same. GSD
:-)

Reactions: akb
OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

meh...I'm not sure...more likely they are simply chasing the pretty orange ball.
+1 Dogs like to chase. It's what they do. Owners shouldn't allow their dogs in areas where they can chase and cause danger to other members of the public. I'm guessing the GSD on WHL was off lead as "nobody ever comes up here. It's a quiet lane" . My concern was not only for cycllsts, but for the dog - a lot of madmen in vans use that lane....

SmileyBoots

Über Member
BentMikey, if it doesn't block your vision too much, would this help?

c:\velomobile.jpg
velomobile.jpg

sabian92

Über Member
I've never had a dog attack me but what's the done thing if it attacks you?

I'd probably try and boot it if it took a chunk out of me but I get the impression the owner may not like that.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The advice seems to be don't look a dog in the eyes...
IMO, it's BS
The majority of dogs are opportunistic and sneaky, they'll nip when you're backs turned or you're not looking.
If its that bad, keep it in front of you and if you've got the bike put it between you.

Just my $0.02 though

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I've only been bit twice.
One was breaking up a fight between 2 bitches, a GSD and a labrador. The lab was the vicious one. Kinda predictable I'd get bitten.
The second was my mates mums chihuahua, about 25 years ago. little sod snuck up behind me and bit my ankle.
Chihuahuas can fly.
Especially with instinctive help from a size 9.....

Reactions: akb

Nebulous

Guru
I've moved my thinking a long way on this in the last few weeks. I'm allergic to dogs, and had a love/hate relationship with them, basically quite liked them, but hated what they did to me. I complained bitterly about smelly, horrible, greedy, expensive objects to anyone who would listen. Then about 5 weeks ago I met a guy with a labradoodle who convinced me I wouldn't be allergic to it. I stroked it and surprisingly didn't react at all.

Things moved on very quickly, and within 10 days we landed up with a puppy standard poodle. A month in, still no reaction, and my head is full of ideas about training, getting him on lead, then off lead, following my bike etc.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There's three dogs near my favourite Cake shop called..ummm. Cake in Downe, Kent - they have always helped me up the incline they are at the bottom of.

I think avoiding the area is a sensible suggestion, especially as you are going to be on edge whether the dogs are there or not. I am not good in these situations either though. I do try and avoid on road confrontations as much as possible!

I am disappointed that this thread has nothing to with 1980s Neighbours;; "you're such a dag, Charlene!"

I had no idea you were "local".

that's just up the road from my local...which is oddly about 6 miles from my house:blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There's three dogs near my favourite Cake shop called..ummm. Cake in Downe, Kent - they have always helped me up the incline they are at the bottom of.

I think avoiding the area is a sensible suggestion, especially as you are going to be on edge whether the dogs are there or not. I am not good in these situations either though. I do try and avoid on road confrontations as much as possible!

I am disappointed that this thread has nothing to with 1980s Neighbours;; "you're such a dag, Charlene!"

Ooh, you're even more local to me!

Sandra6

Veteran
I have quite a lot of run ins with dog owners - usually because they refuse to move out of my way and let their dogs run under my wheels, but I've only been scared by one who was really yappy and bitey. I'd slowed down so as not to run it over, but then it started to jump at me and the owner thought it was funny so I kicked at it and cycled off faster.
I don't know why people blame the dogs, they're animals, it's the owners that are responsible.

Top Bottom