Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Apologies for my incorrect terminology. German shepherd it is then. Voof! Agreed that most of the time it's the owners at fault for having phsycho dogs. We've got a Staffy and he's anything but aggressive. Pushy, stubborn, cheeky, yes. (He's at that age - got him as a rescued puppy about a year ago). My main gripe is with owners who just don't care. On a canal walk we came across a huge thing with big teeth, and on approaching we asked if it was ok with other dogs. "Not really" was the reply. Owner carried on sitting in his deck chair smoking his fag and told his wife to get hold of the beast. Her response was she didn't want to in case he went for her again. Only then did he get up and take control of the situation and allow us, and our dog on his lead, to pass safely. Bring back dog licenses?

I agree.....Its not the dog.....its who is at the other end of a lead thats the problem........staffs....rotties...GSD...breed has nothing to do with it.....its irresponsible owners that do my tree in...its this type of owner who would not get a license.....so this is not a solution.

glad your ok from your run in with a poor dog owner :thumbsup:

davefb

Guru

blimey, i thought you look like lightening in the normal 'bents.. thats rocket powered :-O

I can't stand out of control dogs, and one doing that is out of control...

The main problem I've had has been people with the long leads and them not working out that they shouldnt stop on the other side from the dog as a bike approaches , most owners have been pretty good on shared use areas. Though it's annoying because it's normally meant slowing down.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Irresponsible dog owners annoy me immensely, but having said that theyve all been amazingly good recently with owners holding the dog by the collar as i pass or slipping a lead on it. Ive been shouted at abusively a few times for cycling too quickly on a cycle path by owners who let their dogs run about free despite it being against the rules and generally silly (in reality id slowed down, just not to a crawl).

Several years back cycling past one of those pikey encampments on a 60mph road, what i think was a staffie shot out and chased me and friends, dog barking and jumping at ankles as we tried to outrun it (silly plan). Amusingly after a couple hundred metres a police car passed in the opposite direction and stopped at their site presumably to have words.

30yroldclunker

Über Member
I used to have two dogs regularly chase me on my commute. Real scrawny building site guard mutts. They were squeaky bum moments first time it happened for sure. Next time out I was armed and ready, a quick squirt from a water bottle in the mush when they sprang out at me worked a treat. After a couple more run ins with the water bottle they gave up and now just sit and watch me as I pass. Ironically I kind of miss the excitement of the chase sometimes...

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I used to have two dogs regularly chase me on my commute. Real scrawny building site guard mutts. They were squeaky bum moments first time it happened for sure. Next time out I was armed and ready, a quick squirt from a water bottle in the mush when they sprang out at me worked a treat. After a couple more run ins with the water bottle they gave up and now just sit and watch me as I pass. Ironically I kind of miss the excitement of the chase sometimes...
I'd still be putting a weak lemon juice solution in the bottle. Nothing harmful but at least slightly discouraging. Some dogs won't be put off by water alone.

Top Bottom