Dogs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Who'd put a hat on their dog and take a farking picture ffs?

Erm......

Twittered1c1ea_jpg.jpg

Tum te tum

I think he quite suited it.

View attachment 144531

Tum te tum

I think he quite suited it.

I wish I could look that good in a hat!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Do you treat your dog like a child? I am really amazed when I see people kissing and cuddling their dog as if it was a child. They buy special treats, sometimes even clothes, let them sleep on the settee, talk to them same as babies etc..... I don't have a dog because my wife and I feel you are too tied with a dog, but four of our children have one and they all behave like I said. At the end of the day, a dog is an animal and also a pet but not a child! Of course it should be treated and well looked after but hey, it is not your own flesh and blood. Love them and be good to them but remember, it is a DOG.

So even within your own flesh and blood circle your opinion is outvoted 4:1

If you don't want a dog fine, no problem at all with that, I don't want cats or goldfish.

However on that basis I would not presume it is my place to lecture cat or goldfish owners on how they should choose to interact and live with their pets.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Having a dog, means that you are unlikely to visit Blackpool or popular places such as Cornwall
We've found a great dog friendly place in Cornwall if you would like to visit. A small 2 bed cottage, with a decent garden. A couple of dog friendly beaches (even in high season) within a 10 min walk, loads of the local shops, cafes etc are cool about you taking your dog in ( as long as it behaves !). I'll send you the details if you are interested.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have 2 dogs, both are asleep on the sofa next to me.
They both sleep in the bedroom at night and I am 'tied' to them so we holiday in the UK in our touring caravan. My 191/2 year old Parson Russell can sleep anywhere she dang well pleases. I doubt we will have her for many more weeks as she's fading a bit now.
Hubster's sister - who used to arrive unannounced fairly regularly - now doesn't as she doesn't like my dogs being on my sofa. Actually, just doesn't like my dogs and tries to insist that we give them away/rehome them/murder them. Miserable cow. She thought that she would lecture me on the subject. So I told her to either sit down, shut up and mind her manners or piss off. She chose the latter and I didn't have to put up with her rancid BO. Happy days.
When Millie dog passes, we will get another dog fairly quickly, as my young Lurcher cannot be an only dog. I'm pretty sure that any new dog will be asleep on the sofa within a couple of days of moving in.

As for clothes, both of mine have fleeces for cold days and waterproof coats for wet days. Millie has only started wearing a coat over the last couple of years as, after she hit her 17th birthday, started to feel the cold a bit. They do not have superman onsies or anything like that, although they have had hats on for photographic purposes in the past. When I worked as a groomer, I saw a lot of dogs in clothing - fairy suits, tutus, tuxs and the like. Not for me that sort of thing, but each to their own.
Yes, I treat them like family, always have. When BFs (before I got married) suggested that they would prefer it if I didn't have dogs, I suggested that they shut the door on the way out and not bother to come back.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Having a dog, means that you are unlikely to visit Blackpool or popular places such as Cornwall;

Whilst I can see your point, it is entirely subjective; having any pet is a commitment or a 'tie'. For some, the lifestyle adjustments are too much to consider having a dog, it just depends on whether (with regard to your lifestyle) you believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Have you tried Beau tunnel at St Pinnock? http://www.dogs-holiday.co.uk/
We used to go there all the time, not now though as we live 20 minutes away. Tons of dog friendly places in Cornwall. I am currently looking for a dog friendly place, reasonably cheap, in Norfolk for November if anyone knows of anything.

D

Deleted member 26715

The one that currently annoys me is the trend towards harnesses's away from collars & leads, whereby the owner has even less control over the already poorly trained dog. The harness plays to all the dogs strength, i.e. it's shoulders & it's back legs, if you think that chokers are bad, then at least use a halter not a harness. As to dog's on furniture, beds etc, nope dogs place is on the floor.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
As someone who's always been happily single and alone, I have to admit I do tend to think of my pets as my family. It's now been nearly six months since I lost my last dog and I thought I would be ok without one for a while as I have other family commitments at the moment, but I am already starting to hanker after getting another and trying to work around things some way.

I also have an indoor Siamese cat who is extremely friendly and is missing the dog too so it would be company for her too.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
But Jack comes with us to Cornwall with no problems.

I find that Cornwall (in the Summer season) is quite congested in terms of traffic and people; I'd much rather go somewhere rather quieter. I don't know what kind of dog you have, but ours is a rather large beast. In Northumberland, we can let her off the lead on a deserted beach and she can run around as she chooses - we don't have to worry that young children or other might feel intimidated, by her just being on the same stretch of beach.

St Ives

st-ives.jpg

Bamburgh

bamburghcastlebamburgh18.jpg

And he has a pet passport as well, so comes with us overseas.

I don't think our dog would like to go abroad - she doesn't trust that foreign food - too much garlic and there's the language problem . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom