Dogs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark barker

I've had my dog for around 18 months now, and shes pretty well trained. When we're out walking she will sit down if theres a bike around until it passes and she'll wait until I tell her to carry on before she gets up. If I'm on my bike or trike she'll run beside me (I don't ride fast!). Despite this training I still get abuse from cyclists who seem obviously don't like dogs! Surely a well trained dog off the lead is far safer to pass that a dog thats pulling on an extendable lead?

So, what would you do differently? Could I have trained the dog differently, or are some cyclists beyond help?

(for what its worth, I've never had an issue with dogs when cycling)

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I'm having a feeling of deja vu.......

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I regularly ride through woods in which people also walk their dogs. Ive never had an issue although most dogs are off their leads. When per-occupied with sticks, a ball or just being among S-O--M-A-N-Y--T-R-E-E-S!, I find that dogs dont really pay much attention to cyclists anyway.

You get grumpy people everywhere. Sounds like you've trained him well so worry not or give them some abuse back.

I regularly cycle with mine, I was just in Delamere yesterday. I don't stop anymore, I used to but I found that worse as he would generally come back to me in the middle of the path, in the way. So now I hold my line and speed and he knows to avoid bikes as I've taught him, by gently tapping him with a wheel and hollering, that getting in the way is not good.

Live your life, let others live there's and ignore the ones who want to live yours for you.

I can't see the problem here either - just ingore them.

The only thing I try not to do is to get between the dog and the owner. I just cycle round the other way. that way it is not normally an issue, but I have also found that the dog will get out of the way as well. I have never yet hit one either - they are stunningly good at getting out of the way at the very last minute - I live on a nature reserve that is the most common dog walking venue in the area.
I have generally found that it is the owner that makes the situation worse. the dogs are usually quite intelligent compared to the owners.

Here's mine out yesterday. We're only doing 10mph here as I've got the camera in one hand but he has no problems keeping up on mtn bike routes. Of course it's a bit disconcerting whne he comes past you as you're doing 26mph down a bumpy track but like I said, he knows to stay out the way.

If it's busy I attach him to the bike and cycle at a slow trotting speed (6-9mph) and I use a simple jogging lead for that. Again, experience has taught him to stay in the right place, not pull and not try to move sides or stop and sniff things.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
On the Kingswinford Railway walk you have to go past a static travellers' site (i know that doesn't make sense).

You want to try outrunning acouple of snarling alsatians and rotties from there, i'm sure the owners treat it as sport.

I don't like dogs too much having been attacked by one as a kid but if I saw the owner making an effort to control one as I went by the last thing that would enter my mind would be to have a go. Some folk beit pedestrian/ bus user/ cyclist/ driver are just looking for an excuse.

Ravelin

mark barker said:
So, what would you do differently? Could I have trained the dog differently, or are some cyclists beyond help?
By the sounds if it you've trained your dog pretty well, and some cyclists/people are just beyond help.

Cyclists and dog walkers often have to co-exist as we frequently use the same tracks. If I'm walking our dog then if cyclists are approaching I'll generally try to get the dogs attention and either make her sit by me whilst they pass, or if being ultra safe (especially if young kids are cycling, who can be less predictable than my dog) I'll grab her collar until for a few seconds. The dog generally has better things to do though and ignores cyclists 9 times out of 10 (the other 1 time she might attempt a sniff to ascertain if they have any food going spare).

Conversly, if I'm out on my bike with the dog running along with me and I come across other cyclists or pedestrians, then I'll slow down and try to place my bike between them and the dog. Again though, she's usually either to intent on keeping up or too tired to bother much with other people. I also take a longer lead if I need to keep her under control in busier bits (or get a tow).

As for other people's dogs, never had a problem with them and I am happy to leave it up to the owners to decide if they need to bring them under control or they are safe to be wandering free. I will usually slow down a bit and be more wary until I've passed them though, just the same as if I was passing someone on foot.

William

Norm

I was out yesterday riding round Virginia Water. Just as I came up behind a couple of other cyclists, they went past a couple of ladies who were walking dogs and one of the dogs started yapping at the heels of the first cyclist through.

As I was alongside the ladies, I slowed right down and, on hearing one of them calling the dog's name, I stopped completely, bent down and called him myself. It completely threw the dog, although he wouldn't come up to me at first, he left the other two cyclists alone.

I got chatting with the women, we had a cup of coffee together and I jumped on the bike a couple of times to get the dog more comfortable with cyclists. I don't know if it will stop him chasing the next one or not, but I hope that it helped.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
upsidedown said:
On the Kingswinford Railway walk you have to go past a static travellers' site (i know that doesn't make sense).

You want to try outrunning acouple of snarling alsatians and rotties from there, i'm sure the owners treat it as sport.

Does wonders for your sprint tho' xx(

Top Bottom