Doing up old MTB - what am I likely to need to buy/replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalniel

It looks like my next n+1 is going to be an old Raleigh Mustang from 1990 or so that's been sat in a garage in a poor state for about 20 years. Before getting my hands on it, what are the sorts of things people think I will need to replace? I'm guessing tyres and tubes as have been warned as such by the owners, but in a bike that was in a working state when last used, will I need to do much more?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Tyres, chain, freewheel, brake blocks are probably going to be perished or rusty. Cables possibly. Without having a good look at it you won't really know though.

AyJay

Über Member
I am thinking of doing the same thing at the moment. It is just a matter of finding the right bike. I guess you really don't know the full "damage" until you start.

Wot, one like this??
PICT0070.jpg

Still in use, tyres are new-ish, and cables, brake blocks, but the bearings I stripped out and regreased and bunged 'em back in, still original derailleurs, chain and chainset... so maybe I never used it that much after all, (??), but the wheels are bombproof and weigh about as much as a bag of cement. Been stored, read, left in the shed, for many years, having a rest, it was. Had a child seat on the front twenty odd years ago for my daughter, who is now almost thirty, but now we have a grandson, a new child seat and the old Mustang is out of retirement.

To be fair, I'd looked after it and it probably never had heavy use, although it seems to me that I rode it quite a lot way back when. Good luck with your project.

Top Bottom