Doing your childs homework

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...is this right?

I have just done a history essay for my son. I did it because I have always offred to help him and he has never yet asked...but tonight he did & i dont wont to let him down he has a mountain of other work to do, he is tired, has had a long hard week and deserves a break i feel.
He does a lot of out of school work/activities as well and they occupy most of his week outside of school hours.
His reports so far have all been excellent (awaiting next weeks though!)

So...am i right to do this?

I may have screwed it up big time...it's been 30 year since I got my O level in History!

Will the teacher know?

Have I deprived him of his learning?

Do others do this as well?

Will I be judged and sent to hell for my sin?xx(

Abitrary

In the long term, it only depends if you've done a better or worse job than he would have done.

wafflycat

I've never done my son's homework for him, but I have helped him with ideas, suggestions of where to look, done explanations, but never done the actual work. I think doing the homeowrk for them is wrong: I see it as cheating. Sorry, BTSlimmerB, but it is cheating.

domtyler

Über Member
You definitely did the wrong thing, although you clearly know that already or you wouldn't have come straight on here and posted what you did.

If he has a heavy work load and is struggling to cope he should have gone and talked it though with his teacher(s) and come up with a work around, not got his Dad to do his work for him. This would have taught him a valuable lesson in responsibility and managing a heavy work load.

Instead of this lesson he has now learnt that when the shoot hits the fan Dad will bail him out.

I think I agree with Domtyler - might have gone as far as writing him a structured plan to follow but if he got to that point then he's maybe missed a trick in either not doing the work effeciently or not asking for help in good time?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I received an email from my sister a few weeks back asking if I would do my niece's homework for her because she (my sister) was too tired to do it! I wrote back and said that it wouldn't help my niece's education to have us doing her homework for her, but I was prepared to be of assistance.

I did 10 minutes of searching on Google to see what combination of search terms found the most useful websites. I emailed my niece with a little 'how to use Google effectively' tutorial and enough hints that she could then find the information for herself.

I think that Parents help their children most by providing encouragement, advice and explanations, not by just writing out the answers.

At the risk of being a complete kissarse (see CTC or Sustrans thread) I'm with Waffly one hundred percent. If you can kindle some enthusiasm where there is (however temporarily) none, then do it.

Noodley

simon l& and a half said:
I do think that Fattersbehistoricallyaccurate should post the essay here, in order that we might (ahem) offer our further advice.....

I am quite disappointed we were not asked to help in the first place :blush:

Top Bottom