Dolan l'etape choices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevor_P

Originally, I intended to purchase a Trek Domane from the LBS as my first decent ride, but circumstances have changed somewhat and I have less money to spend. So, I've been looking at the Dolan L'etape with SRAM rival and compact chainset. My current ride has Shimano SORA 16 speed compact chainset with the lowest gear being 34t-26t. The Dolan could have 11-28t or 11-32t cassette. I can just about manage some local hills at 10% in the lowest gear I have now, but anything steeper is still a bit too much of a slog. Which cassette should I go for, the 28t or the 32t? I'm worried that the 11-32t might have too big a spacing and the lowest ratios be wasted, then again, I don't want to come across some hill that I can't manage.

Cyclone1

I have a L'Etape with SRAM rival and 11-28 cassette. I have no real issue with hills but guess it depends on how steep for how long.

I wouldn't worry too much about the spacings on a 11-32, but yes in that respect 11-28 is better.

The L'Etape currently comes with Rival 22 and Aksiums for £999 which is amazing value. I changed the handlebars, seat post and wheelset on mine at build stage and so far love it. Which Trek Domane were you considering?

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

I have a L'Etape with SRAM rival and 11-28 cassette. I have no real issue with hills but guess it depends on how steep for how long.

I wouldn't worry too much about the spacings on a 11-32, but yes in that respect 11-28 is better.

The L'Etape currently comes with Rival 22 and Aksiums for £999 which is amazing value. I changed the handlebars, seat post and wheelset on mine at build stage and so far love it. Which Trek Domane were you considering?
Thanks for the info. The Domane would have been the 4.7, but that is way down the shopping list now due to the OH being forced to change her job.

Being 52 years old, 15st. with bad knees, Pushing a big gear, or a small gear uphill slowly is difficult. I can do it, but the knees start to become painful if I'm not careful, then they get hot, swell and its game over. The current 16 speed Shimano has too wide a spacing at around 20-25mph on the flat, so I'm either trying to push too big, or spinning like crazy. Constantly shifting up and down.

Cyclone1

It's a tricky one but I think you'll be fine on the new Rival 22 with 11-28, it's got to be a very decent step up on the Sora 8sp and the wide spacings. Saying that I think you'd be fine going the 11-32t route as again will be a step up.

Jules

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Difficult choice really. I know that provided I keep cycling, there's still plenty of room for improvement. Lose another 2-3 stone and the 11-28 will be fine I suppose. Yes, that's it, an incentive. Decision made then.

I'm about your weight after you've lost the 2-3 stone and i just swapped to a 12-30 from a 12-28, i hate hills though. I only do them so i can go back down again and because all my riding mates seem to enjoy them. Not sure why i hang out with such reprobates tbh.

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

I'm about your weight after you've lost the 2-3 stone and i just swapped to a 12-30 from a 12-28, i hate hills though. I only do them so i can go back down again and because all my riding mates seem to enjoy them. Not sure why i hang out with such reprobates tbh.
I'm no KOM, but I enjoy the challenge. At the moment, I'm seeing big gains (when my back isn't playing up like it has for the last two weeks). Contrary to that I don't like quick descents. There's a couple of local cat4 hills that I'd like to be near the top for my age group on maybe next year with any luck.

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Finally ordered the L'Etape with SRAM Rival 22 and 11-32 Cassette. Can always change to the 11-28 later if required. Having tried and failed miserably at a local hill, the extra leeway should mean I can tackle any local hill with confidence.

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

@Cyclone1 thanks. Not initially impressed with the response from Dolan. That is nothing, not even a thank you automated email. The order just shows processing on their Web site. Still, early days yet.

Ordered the black with yellow trim, yellow bar tape and yellow striped tyres. Will post pics when it arrives.

Cyclone1

Trevor, when I ordered mine the status never changed, even 3 months after it still said processing or something similar. I just rang them to check on progress. To be honest they are a small team, so even answering the phone is hard work!!

Be patient as I am sure you'll love the bike. I went for similar colour spec but went for white bar tape and all black tyres. I also swapped out the wheels, handlebar, seat post and stem as part of the assembly and have since swapped out the seat.

Jules

Top Bottom