Dolan l'etape choices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevey

Guru
How long did you have to wait?
If I recall around 4-5 weeks it will get to you eventually
You could email them on Monday to find out how they are progressing

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

@stevey Yeah, will try that. I was hoping the bike would arrive in time for a couple of organised rides I have planned in the next month or so. It says 15 days build time on the web-site. If thats not correct, then that's v.bad business practice in my book, and I'll let them know that's how I feel. Small business or not, you shouldn't lie to your customers. Anyway it's not at that stage yet, so for now they get the benefit of the doubt.

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Bike has been built and dispatched. Sadly they don't make the schwalbe Ultremo tyres with yellow stripe any more, so I've gone for Gatorskins instead. I'm used to them and have so far never had a PF visit whilst using them.

I'm like a kiddie waiting for Christmas now ....:hyper::biggrin::hyper:

Last edited:

MMMMMike

Regular
Trevor, I ordered similar spec Dolan as yourself, about 7 days later after you had ordered. Any chance you could post on here when it arrives etc.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Trevor, I ordered similar spec Dolan as yourself, about 7 days later after you had ordered. Any chance you could post on here when it arrives etc.
Thanks.
Should be here tomorrow. Have the tracking info from Parcel Farce. I placed my order on the 1st September FYI.

Last edited:

MMMMMike

Regular
Thanks for the info and update.

MMMMMike

Regular
It's here. Assembled, but will wait till I have more time to try it out.
Apologies for asking you questions. Are you pleased with how the bike looks.? Did you have to do much assembling.? lastly, did Dolan contact you at all after you had ordered.? Apologies again.

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Apologies for asking you questions. Are you pleased with how the bike looks.? Did you have to do much assembling.? lastly, did Dolan contact you at all after you had ordered.? Apologies again.
HI Mike, The bike looks fine for the money. A couple of small imperfections in the carbon/paint finish here and there, but nothing major. I'll post up some pictures when I've got time to take them. Had to turn the stem upside down, as it was too low for me, it's designed to go up either way so looks fine. Probably need to go a bit shorter on that too, by about 20mm.I also had to adjust the seat height and tilt, straighten the bars, and that was pretty much it. Took around 30 minutes. It comes without any instructions at all, so it's a good job I know what I'm doing. I expect there'll be the usual fettling of the gears and brakes when its done its first trip or two. But they have been set up correctly during assembly.

Dolan's initial contact was to tell me they didn't have the Schwalbe tyres I asked for, the day before the build, which was two days before dispatch. I got an email telling me it had been dispatched. I chose Conti gatorskins which are £10 cheaper, so I asked for a couple of water bottles to make up the difference. Sadly they don;t fit well in my existing cradles so I'll need to get some new ones.

Really looking forward to taking it for a spin, I'll find some steep hills to put it through it's paces. I'm doing the Canterbury Bike ride (55 miles) this weekend, on it too.

Just to add, I was surprised it didn't come with any reflectors or a bell. I was under the impression they were mandatory these days, but what do I know?

OP
OP
Trevor_P

Trevor_P

Just an update for those interested. I've had the bike for three weeks now and been out four times, racking up 225 miles so far. It's a big improvement over the previous Carrera. The Sella saddle has been consigned to the garage, being replaced by the Charge Spoon I used to have on the Carrera. I need to get something a little more comfortable still but don't know what. I still intend to go for a shorter stem at some point too. The double tap gears are fast and positive in both directions, only requiring minor adjustments to get them spot on. I'm still tinkering with the indexing on the rear derailleur as the cabling settles in. Having largely internal cabling is nice. The Mavic Aksium wheels are shod with Conti Gatorskins, and true to form remain puncture free (touch wood). Ride is, I'd estimate some 50% more comfortable with the frame absorbing a lot more road chatter than the aluminium Carrera did before.

All in all I'm really pleased with the bike, which now needs a good clean following completion of the new forest 100 on Saturday.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Looking at this bike with work offering C2W in January through Halfords.
Ideally I need to go and try one out. Anyone know how accommodating the are on trials before you buy?

Cheers Sean

Top Bottom