Domestic Flights with bike in a Polythene bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I said I'd help a friend with a building project in Orkney this summer and see an opportunity to double up and have a short tour along the East Coast of Scotland.

The BA flights from Exeter are operated by Loganair, who seem to have a pretty relaxed luggage policy regarding bikes, ie deflate tyres turn bars and pedals inward ( boxes aren't mandatory ).

I'm 20 miles from. Exeter and could feasibly make the journey with just a polythene mattress bag and a roll of tape. I'd take the extra precaution of removing mechs and padding a few areas with some 3mm foam.

What are people's thoughts / experience taking bikes from smaller airports / airlines / planes? (50 seater)

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Buy it a seat or it will get destroyed

I said I'd help a friend with a building project in Orkney this summer and see an opportunity to double up and have a short tour along the East Coast of Scotland.

The BA flights from Exeter are operated by Loganair, who seem to have a pretty relaxed luggage policy regarding bikes, ie deflate tyres turn bars and pedals inward ( boxes aren't mandatory ).
That sounds a brilliant trip!
I'm 20 miles from. Exeter and could feasibly make the journey with just a polythene mattress bag and a roll of tape. I'd take the extra precaution of removing mechs and padding a few areas with some 3mm foam.
I've never used a mattress bag, but I can tell you that the CTC clear bag is perfectly designed for this. HTH

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Do ya feel lucky punk, well do ya?

6eadcafe4aafc9faf45dc484015b9c99.jpg

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Acquirable at https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk-plastic-bike-bag

Short haul flights are environmentally damaging, as you probably know. The Cornwall -Scotland trains take two reserved bikes hung up but isn't often cheap, though. Www.WriteToThem.com with your experience and say the new Great British Rail should fix this, if they're serious about reducing emissions.

The OP isn't chartering a jet, he's asking about peoples experiences on a scheduled flight from a small airport using a clear bag so operators can see what is inside it?

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
7kDo ya feel lucky punk, well do ya?

View attachment 643219

:laugh:
Maybe you're right, I'm sure my friend would drop me off with a carefully packed box.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have used a clear bag with minimal padding and the bike arrived in better condition when I sent it boxed with good padding. I think that when damage can be seen by the customer at the airport and packaging does not allow for stacking or have handles for throwing then the package is looked after better.

I have used a clear bag with minimal padding and the bike arrived in better condition when I sent it boxed with good padding. I think that when damage can be seen by the customer at the airport and packaging does not allow for stacking or have handles for throwing then the package is looked after better.

Yes. And most handlers don't actually want to damage stuff - if they can see a bike, it's easier to handle it appropriately.

Before people start scare-mongering they should consider the facts - actual testimony shows the clear bag approach is almost risk-free, whilst "proper" boxes often* result in terrible damage. That may surprise some, but those are the facts: and for the convenience, and reduced costs [plus reduced petrol miles!] its a valuable option.

*more people use them, to put the numbers in perspective!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
:laugh:
Maybe you're right, I'm sure my friend would drop me off with a carefully packed box.
That's really the only way if you want to have a better chance of it arriving undamaged. There are so many variables. How much luggage is there on the flight, are the baggage handlers feeling helpful? It's a lottery, hence my comment.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

What are people's thoughts / experience taking bikes from smaller airports / airlines / planes? (50 seater)

BITD self and Mrs T flew Manchester to Queenstown NZ with bikes. Changing at Heathrow, Singapore, Sydney and Christchurch. The last leg on a very small jet.

In them days, even poly bags were unnecessary, the bikes were fully assembled just pedals off. We actually saw them on top of a baggage train at Sydney Airport. No problems encountered. IMO unless you have a full hard shell bike case, the less packaging the better - more likely handlers will take care of it. Could be wishful thinking!

In the end it just depends on how big a blow a damaged bike would be. If that's an utter disaster, you need a hard shell case. If not you're good with a poly bag. Enjoy!

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
That's really the only way if you want to have a better chance of it arriving undamaged. There are so many variables. How much luggage is there on the flight, are the baggage handlers feeling helpful? It's a lottery, hence my comment.

I just spoke to Loganair and booked a space for my bike, they assured me that the bikes are loaded by hand and separate from other luggage.

Last time I used a box the bike arrived with both mechs damaged, I didn't notice and on my cycle home my chain got well and truly stuck between the cassette and spokes, of course it happened to be bucketing down with rain too. :laugh:

I have 9 days to decide what to do, which could include all of the previously mentioned options or cobbling together a bike from various parts that were destined for the dump, ie this....

Attachments

• IMG_20220504_175852.jpg
    IMG_20220504_175852.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 3

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think your plan will be fine. Not sure of frame material - carbon more susceptible to damage with a bump in an unexpected direction - but leaving wheels on mitigates the main weak spots of crushing forks or stays together. Defo remove & tape your rear mech to inside of rear triangle
bikes are loaded by hand and separate from other luggage
is quite reassuring.

Dont forget to take a pump with you :okay:

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom