Don’t “recommend me”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
So, recommend me a book on grammar is a fail, then..?

postman

Legendary Member
My grammar is appalling,I missed so much schooling with being a wimpy nervous child.I bet it shows on here.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It’s recommend one of course
unless they asked "recommend me two...":okay:

So, recommend me a book on grammar is a fail, then..?
Yes. Recommend a book on grammar to me. Or just, recommend a book on grammar. That is asking about a book on grammar.
If you say 'recommend me ...' then you are saying that you want to be recommended ... maybe for a promotion, or to the Queen for a knighthood...LOL

A neighbour yesterday was very pleased about what one of the senior managers in her workplace had said to her. 'He recommended me to Dr XYZ for the new post that's being opened up in April.'

mustang1

Guru
Through the ages as I've interacted more with non native English speakers, my English has taken a turn for the worse. Questions have become statements but one has to say in a different tone. For example
Do you have a bike?
and
You have a bike?
are both asking about you having a bike, but one is a question, and the other is (or at least should be) a statement.

Another thing, like you said, is something I heard in America when they say "the weather tuesday is sunny" rather than "the weather ON tuesday is sunny".

Irritating, but as long as I understand what people are saying. I don't know nothing. So I do, or don't I? Grrr...

Another thing, like you said, is something I heard in America when they say "the weather tuesday is sunny" rather than "the weather ON tuesday is sunny".
I hear ( and oh! how it grates!) 'We went to Disney on Easter.' Not 'on Easter Sunday' but just 'on Easter' or 'on Christmas' or whatever! Someone said to me that they hope to visit England 'on Easter'. I wanted to ask, 'Would that be on Easter Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday? It seems rather a long way for just a day trip ...' but instead I said 'Bring your big coat and an umbrella!'

Top Bottom