Don’t “recommend me”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Well I not looking teach english at my time of life , so my punctuation witch is very pour will knot be a problem .

I spent hours when I was working trying to get things down on paper . Computers did help a bit later on . Now I do not care.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I would like to recommend you the book, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves". The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss.

It is really entertaining as well as being good and clear. The best single "rule" in the book was about commas, "don't use commas like a stupid person" Her example was (I think) a mis-comma-ing of the song title as "What is this thing called, love", at any rate that was in the book somewhere.

Two nice examples which may or may not be in the book is where about where the comma goes in. "woman without her man is nothing". You can be feminist or sexist depending on the choice.

And other rules are important too

"I helped my Uncle jack off his horse", could be improved with a capital letter

It is really entertaining as well as being good and clear. The best single "rule" in the book was about commas, "don't use commas like a stupid person" Her example was (I think) a mis-comma-ing of the song title as "What is this thing called, love", at any rate that was in the book somewhere.

Two nice examples which may or may not be in the book is where about where the comma goes in. "woman without her man is nothing". You can be feminist or sexist depending on the choice.

And other rules are important too

"I helped my Uncle jack off his horse", could be improved with a capital letter
When I taught ESL to adults (both young and old) the intermediate/advanced students used to love 'word games' like that. I used to spend a lot of time on stress and intonation games with them, too. Red roses seem to be an almost universal symbol of love and 'He gave her twelve red roses' is an easy sentence which can mean so very many different things, depending on which word/s you place the stress. Happy days!

I'm firmly in Team Ditransitive :okay: where 'recommend' is analagous to 'give' in its usage.

Common sense, context and understandability are more important.

No-one misreads 'give me a book' as 'give me to a book', but you can always write 'give a book to me' if it makes you happy or if in the context you've created it makes your meaning clearer.

If the direct object precedes the indirect object, we include 'to'.
Give the book to me.
However, if the indirect object precedes the direct object, we omit 'to', e.g.

Give me the book.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am not the best person when it comes to grammar
I'm dead good at grammer me.

Here's an oldie but goodie:
Jane while Joan had had had had had had had had had had had better marks from the teacher.

Lexical and syntactic ambiguity are surprisingly common in English; in writing, correct punctuation helps avoid it and in speech, stress, general intonation and word order is the solution.

Top Bottom