Don’t know what bike to buy for my daughter’s 12th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Booboohoohoo

Please help, any suggestions. This question is coming from a woman who is happy riding my Dawes Dutches which I purchased through a work scheme. So obviously know nothing about bikes. My daughter has knee hyper mobility and a surgeon recommended she takes up cycling to build up her muscles. I’m looking to buy her a bike in the next couple of days. She would like a mountain bike; however as she will be mostly cycling to school and along river paths I think a hybrid might be more suitable?can you suggest a good, light enough to lift for a 12 year old, bike please?!?! I’m totally confused by the branding and can’t spend more than 350. ☹️ Help

netman

Veteran
Please help, any suggestions. This question is coming from a woman who is happy riding my Dawes Dutches which I purchased through a work scheme. So obviously know nothing about bikes. My daughter has knee hyper mobility and a surgeon recommended she takes up cycling to build up her muscles. I’m looking to buy her a bike in the next couple of days. She would like a mountain bike; however as she will be mostly cycling to school and along river paths I think a hybrid might be more suitable?can you suggest a good, light enough to lift for a 12 year old, bike please?!?! I’m totally confused by the branding and can’t spend more than 350. ☹ Help

Have a look at www.islabikes.co.uk - great bikes for youngsters... although their website seems to be down and delivery times are likely to be longer than a few days... you may be able to find a decent one second hand locally though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How secure are the school facilities ?
Much as i think isla bikes are the business wouldn't leave one where it could be easily vandalized or pinched

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I cant suggest any specific bike but am reminded of something of specific importance....
My son brought our 13yo granddaughter a cheapish quality, steel framed heavy heavy mtb style bike, which did what it needed to but it was chuffing heavy.
At 14, he brought her a Carrera alloy framed 29er, £350 ish, really light compared to her previous bike.

It was a revelation to her, she was almost glee filled at how well it went compred to her older cheaper bike, I can see her face now, beaming.

The moral of the story...cheap bikes are ok, that's all. But they are a millstone, theres no great pleasure in owning one. A good bike that cost a bit more....are a revelation In comparison.

Yep, I'm very fond of my Wiggins Chartres 26 as @vickster says. :blush: It's the go-to and do-it-all bike in my small fleet of three. FYI I also have a Wiggins Rouen road bike and an old-style rigid mountain bike.

At 11 kg the Chartres will be lighter than a mountain bike as you don't have the front suspension to worry about; the tyres fitted as standard should have enough "give" for towpath type riding. It's got a good range of gearing for fast riding on the flat, but also for tackling hills or riding loaded with shopping. Plus it's got the eyes to take mudguards and a luggage rack, which might come useful if your lass is going to use it to ride to and from school.

Here's mine on a cycling away day in Hampshire last summer.

IMG_0006_small.jpg

They're regularly on offer in Halfords, so if you catch it right, you will get it under budget. I'm 4ft 11 btw...

OP
OP
B

Booboohoohoo

Yep, I'm very fond of my Wiggins Chartres 26 as @vickster says. :blush: It's the go-to and do-it-all bike in my small fleet of three. FYI I also have a Wiggins Rouen road bike and an old-style rigid mountain bike.

At 11 kg the Chartres will be lighter than a mountain bike as you don't have the front suspension to worry about; the tyres fitted as standard should have enough "give" for towpath type riding. It's got a good range of gearing for fast riding on the flat, but also for tackling hills or riding loaded with shopping. Plus it's got the eyes to take mudguards and a luggage rack, which might come useful if your lass is going to use it to ride to and from school.

Here's mine on a cycling away day in Hampshire last summer.

View attachment 512456

They're regularly on offer in Halfords, so if you catch it right, you will get it under budget. I'm 4ft 11 btw...
Thank you will check it out!

vickster

Legendary Member
5ft but presumably she will grow a bit so something where she is the bottom of the size guide rather than the top :smile:

Top Bottom