Donating monthly to a badger welfare/rescue charity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The other day I read a horrible story in a local paper (online) about some evil @'#! who'd been given a 16 week suspended sentence for setting his dogs on badgers. Not only did the badger suffer but his dogs were badly scarred and left without veterinary treatment till the police and RSPCA caught up with the evil git a month or so later! Hate thoughts lead to frustration when hearing about such cases. Instead of having depressing/negative thoughts, why not do something positive I thought to myself. I'm thinking about donating money to a badger welfare/rescue organisation. My question is, I've heard a large percentage of such donations goes to pay the wages of those running such schemes. Yes I know without leadership such schemes wouldn't exist, but If I donate I'd like most of my donation to go to the actual badgers. I've linked a local charity, but it doesn't matter where they are located. I'd just like to set up a monthly debit scheme. Do any of you know of such a scheme that's 'hands on' and not overstaffed with pen pushers etc?

https://www.lancashirebadgergroup.org.uk/

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I self-identify as a badger, you can cut out the middleman and bypass the pen-pushers if you send the money directly to me, I'll make sure 100% of it goes towards my care and welfare.

(sorry @Accy cyclist, couldn't resist it.)

D

Deleted member 26715

Do any of you know of such a scheme that's 'hands on' and not overstaffed with pen pushers etc?

I thought that was a standard requirement of all charities these days, they are there to make money, which is why the CEO of the British Heart Foundation is worth every penny of his £200K, never mind putting that money into research let him & his family have a great life.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Ask on your local Facebook page about the wildlife rescues near to you. Say you want to donate to one thats just volunteer staffed, not by someone on £150K etc. I think its fair enough to want to do this.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'd like most of my donation to go to the actual badgers.

I look forward to seeing them in Tesco's trying to spend it.

But seriously.... Whatever charity you donate to, a large slice of it will be going towards running costs. Having worked for charity organisations in the past, it was a real eye opener regarding how much money gets wasted. For example... one place I used to work, bought a fully kitted out mini bus complete with tail lift for wheelchairs, cost was about £50k... They then got a garage built to keep it in, which doubled up as the maintenance person's HQ.. Cost another £50k... I pass the place quite regularly now, 4 years after the £100k was spent (and 2 years after I escaped). The mini bus which hardly gets used now sits outside the garage, which has become a general storage area. If I was the person or persons who had donated the funds for this, I would be less than happy.

tom73

Guru
I've not only been involved in day to running of one but have given out millions of grant funding. All charities don't run a thin air someone has to run them and be paid some how. Just becomes its the 3rd sector they too need to pay going rate to attract the best staff. A hell of a lot regulations need managing not to mention the every day regulations every organisation has to deal with. You've then got the cost of managing and paying for volunteer costs.
Local charities tend to be a lot smaller than the big national ones with less overheads and more money going to grass roots.
If you're really concerned ask them how the money is spent. If you want to give them money is good thing to do don't be put off by all the horror stories. Local charities need all the help they can get most get overlooked by the national ones and the mass coverage they tend to get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom