Doncaster to York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
1st decent bit of mileage I've done on this bike today roughly a 80 mile round trip, despite it being a flat run my legs were glad when I got back into Doncaster! Lovely place York lots of other cyclists out and about, what surprised me was how cycle friendly it is lots of cycle paths and lanes easy to safely ride through the centre. Enjoyed today and my panniers get delivered tomorrow so I can start heading further out

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Sounds like you had a good day and yes, York is a lovely place to cycle.

So where next?

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Sounds like you had a good day and yes, York is a lovely place to cycle.

So where next?

I did really enjoyed it today was good to see lots of people out on their bikes as well! I'm not sure where to go next Im thinking of squeezing the bike in the car (it's a yaris lol!) and then going for a ride. Is there anywhere you'd recommend that's worth a drive out?

Tommy2

Über Member
I was in York on Saturday, parked at the park and ride then got the bus into the centre, I was surprised how savage the bus drivers were around 'people on bikes' and how the 'people on bikes' rode in the gutter and accepted the close passes without batting an eyelid!!!!

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I was in York on Saturday, parked at the park and ride then got the bus into the centre, I was surprised how savage the bus drivers were around 'people on bikes' and how the 'people on bikes' rode in the gutter and accepted the close passes without batting an eyelid!!!!

Yes the buses weren't afraid of getting close to people on their bikes I rode rather close to the kerb as well!

keithmac

Guru
I cycle commute through York daily, are you sure you went to the correct town ;).

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Lots of quiet, flat roads around Epworth, Crowle, Goole and Thorne. Good caffs in Epworth and the one in West Park at Goole is a belter. You could also try a run up the Trent side through Garthorpe and Fockerby, hardly ever see any traffic up that way. There's also a sneaky shortcut acroos the moors from Crowle to Swinefleet if you don't mind a bit of off road.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Lots of quiet, flat roads around Epworth, Crowle, Goole and Thorne. Good caffs in Epworth and the one in West Park at Goole is a belter. You could also try a run up the Trent side through Garthorpe and Fockerby, hardly ever see any traffic up that way. There's also a sneaky shortcut acroos the moors from Crowle to Swinefleet if you don't mind a bit of off road.
I'll have to look into that I know the Thorne area but not been out as far as Epworth and Crowle on the bike. I don't mind a bit of off road but not when it's completely water logged lol!

Tommy2

Über Member
You probably have a more assertive riding style then so as to discourage vehicles.
Most of the folk I saw just looked like people who had gotten the bike out for a single journey and most likely thought that cyclists were a nuisance as well.

Top Bottom