Done it! Post trip thoughts on my End to End

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bikerta

Congratulations Geoff on finishing your LEJOG. I followed your blog each day with great interest. I did post several times, but for some unknown reason they did not appear apart from the first one. Seeing some of your photos bought back many memories of my trip last year. I can agree with many of your points especially about completing it alone. There are some pretty lonely times, but I think this also encourages you to interact with people around you more than you would if completing it with others. The people you meet along the way are amazing. I think starting in Scotland meant I completed the bleaker areas before the being alone feeling really kicked in, and by the time I was really missing company I was in the more built up areas of the Midlands and Southern UK. I was pretty lucky with the weather and apart from Hurricane Bertha, I was never really cold.

Look forward to reading reports of any future trips you may complete. I am hoping to do a trip of some sort this summer, but not the expedition of last year.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Congratulations Geoff on finishing your LEJOG. I followed your blog each day with great interest. I did post several times, but for some unknown reason they did not appear apart from the first one. Seeing some of your photos bought back many memories of my trip last year. I can agree with many of your points especially about completing it alone. There are some pretty lonely times, but I think this also encourages you to interact with people around you more than you would if completing it with others. The people you meet along the way are amazing. I think starting in Scotland meant I completed the bleaker areas before the being alone feeling really kicked in, and by the time I was really missing company I was in the more built up areas of the Midlands and Southern UK. I was pretty lucky with the weather and apart from Hurricane Bertha, I was never really cold.

Look forward to reading reports of any future trips you may complete. I am hoping to do a trip of some sort this summer, but not the expedition of last year.
Thanks Jackie.
I did see at least three of your comments on my blog. What you may have experienced is a delay until I published them; it's not automatic until approved by me. And I did reply to each of your comments which you'll see if you get time to take another look.
No further bike trips for me in the immediate future since we're a little distracted with a boxer puppy just now.
Thanks for replying and following my blog.
Good luck with your summer trip.
Cheers!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well done Geoff, I'd been wondering how it went. It was great to see you in Clitheroe and thanks for the beer. I have never done a long solo road trip but I have done solo motorcycle touring in constantly bad weather and I know what you mean about the cold, the wet, the loneliness and the need to keep up morale. In those days there were no mobile phones and I was unmarried!

ste.pearson

Formerly known as stevieP
Well done Geoff what an achievement, i was a keen follower of your blog along the way and really enjoyed reading each post, 1 day i hope to do it myself. Truely inspiring :okay:

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Well done Geoff, I'd been wondering how it went. It was great to see you in Clitheroe and thanks for the beer. I have never done a long solo road trip but I have done solo motorcycle touring in constantly bad weather and I know what you mean about the cold, the wet, the loneliness and the need to keep up morale. In those days there were no mobile phones and I was unmarried!
Cheers Ben.
And thanks for understanding my concerns.
Now the dust has settled I'm looking back and can honestly say I'm really glad I did it, despite the reservations AND importantly, I've learned a lot which will inform future cycle tours.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Well done Geoff what an achievement, i was a keen follower of your blog along the way and really enjoyed reading each post, 1 day i hope to do it myself. Truely inspiring :okay:
Thanks Stevie, kind words indeed. Glad to hear you enjoyed my ramblings.
Enjoy!

Fubar

Guru
Fantastic and a great write-up!!! :bravo:
I'd love to do a tour but not that far! I wouldn't go solo either.
Very well done to you - I didn't wonder how you were getting on!

:hello: One Ladies place still available on the forthcoming CC Ecosse Tour to Inverness, our very own @Pat "5mph" plus 2 other ladies in attendance...

Just sayin' likes... :whistle:

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

I have loved reading your blog Geoff, well done.
How is the Pup, that should be good fun in the Camper van.
Cheers mate. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.
As for the pup, apart from being a dizzy boxer (only kidding) she's doing fine. Have a look here https://chrissiedixie.wordpress.com/ my OH, Chrissie's blog has reports of both of Pebbles first camper ventures.
She's had two trips in the camper already and is settling quickly to our traveling life. She's picking up lotsa tips from our gorgeous, mature choccy lab and they've become great pals. We're off to France for six weeks in Sept/Oct, aiming for Brittany and coastal walking. She should be up to a few miles per walk by then. And i'll be sneaking in a week cycle touring.
Life is good!

Top Bottom