Dont be put off commuting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair enough gbb. Life's dangerous, etc! :smile:

I strongly disagree with the notion of filtering out negative comments and reports of accidents/encounters into an 'incidents' thread as that would leave the main body of the Commuting thread with an 'isn't commuting fun?' attitude that doesn't represent the whole experience and doesn't prepare people for what can happen. I don't see that the accident/incident reports and discussions distort the overall picture by their presence. In fact, it's more important that potential commuters read and think about the dangers first. If I was considering starting out as a commuter all over again, I'd want the 'warts and all' version in one place, and be trusted to make my own mind up about what I read.

'Commuting' is essentially a continuous consumer review of an experience. To give a true picture, it needs the positive and the negative experiences - in whatever proportion people choose to post them - to be together in one place: open, honest, unfiltered posting.

Keith Oates

Janner
I see the point you're making, gbb, and agree with you. I also do a fair bit of commuting and mostly in countries where road discipline is very 'elementary' but still find it a pleasure to go to work each day. The problem is that if we all came on here and said 'Had a good incident free ride to work this morning' most people would soon get tired of reading the same thing and drift away from the section if not the forum. On the other hand some who have had a rough experience come on here and post to 'get it off their chest' which is fine by me and I'm sure helps them to some degree. I don't remember anyone coming on here and saying stop commuting it too dangerous and hope it will not be the case in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Fair enough gbb. Life's dangerous, etc! :biggrin:

I strongly disagree with the notion of filtering out negative comments and reports of accidents/encounters into an 'incidents' thread as that would leave the main body of the Commuting thread with an 'isn't commuting fun?' attitude that doesn't represent the whole experience and doesn't prepare people for what can happen. I don't see that the accident/incident reports and discussions distort the overall picture by their presence. In fact, it's more important that potential commuters read and think about the dangers first. If I was considering starting out as a commuter all over again, I'd want the 'warts and all' version in one place, and be trusted to make my own mind up about what I read.

'Commuting' is essentially a continuous consumer review of an experience. To give a true picture, it needs the positive and the negative experiences - in whatever proportion people choose to post them - to be together in one place: open, honest, unfiltered posting.

FWIW, i hadnt thought about the implications of seperating an 'incidents' section within, or away, from commuting when it was first suggested.

But i agree wholly with you..if you think about it, people need to know the whole picture, not just look at it with rosy coloured spectacles. (is that the right term ? :smile: )

Truth is, as i said, incident free commutes dont really make 'good' reading ( forgive the term). That's why the incidents appear out of balance with the good rides.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cycle commuting is fun, if you have to commute across then cycling is the fastest and most fun way to do it. I have never yet met a car driver arrive at work with a grin on their face and saying what fun it was getting in, as for those that just buses, trains, etc, just listen to the complaints. At the end of the day to just can’t beat cycle commuting…

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'm with John Franklin:

"Banish the words 'danger', 'accident' and 'safe'. 'Safe' implies danger and is just as counter-productive. "

Kennyby

grhm said:
I've been commuting nearly 2 years - had about 5 or 6 close encouters, all left hooks or leapfrogging before queuing traffic.

Been shouted at 4 times - once by a car driver, but 3 times by groups of teenagers. Once something stupid like "Your wheels are going round!" or the worst was "Boo!" whilst steping into my path ~10feet/0.5second in front of me on a busy road.

Same happened to me last year on way home from work, NED step out and shouts in my face, he shoot himself when i got off the bike im 6'4" and 18 stone resulting in me chasing the arshole up the road, with him being very brave shouting at me from a distance.
I have to say this was an isolated and out of character reaction from me and has not happened again.
Overall my commuting has been relitively problem free.

nilling

Über Member
Maz said:
If you haven't done so already (same advice to nilling), contact Stagecoach and let them hear the good news.

I've contacted several companies in the past, all to compliment their drivers. A little good news goes a long way.

I did do...

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your positive comments. I have passed on your e-mail to the Operations Manager of our Preston Depot.

Colin Nicholson
Marketing Manager
Stagecoach North West
Central Bus Station, Tithebarn Street
Preston PR1 1YU

Top Bottom