Dont be put off commuting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Quality ride home, through the melee of The City and Hackney Road then a delightful pootle along the canal. Did a circuit of Vicky Park to prolong the unadulterated pleasure.

Like the man in the orthopaedic shoes I stand to be corrected, but I seriously doubt car drivers take lengthy detours on their commute home through East London and make it longer.

And I saw the monster carp again, Old Nick I've called him, beast of a fish in the Lee Navigation. Big Fat ****er.

nilling

Über Member
Stagecoach driver

Part of my route is along a busy 70+ mph dual carriageway but it is wide enough for a cycle lane.

Twice this week I have been overtaken by a Stagecoach bus that has indicated and overtaken me in the outside lane. I'd like to think that Stagecoach management has taken at look at it's driver training but nevertheless well done Stagecoach!

Another positive cycling commuter story :evil:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I was thinking about Stagecoach drivers this morning. I was going far slower than normal (the folder having run out of gears!) and the driver behind me kept a good distance back. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure he'd slowed down earlier on to let me out of a junction in front of him. :evil:
Not just the one driver either, I had another very considerate Stagecoach driver on a different bus route a week or two ago. Long may it continue!

Landslide said:
I was thinking about Stagecoach drivers this morning. I was going far slower than normal (the folder having run out of gears!) and the driver behind me kept a good distance back. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure he'd slowed down earlier on to let me out of a junction in front of him. :evil:
Not just the one driver either, I had another very considerate Stagecoach driver on a different bus route a week or two ago. Long may it continue!
I find Lothian Bus drivers very considerate around this way :becool:

Maz

Guru
Landslide said:
I was thinking about Stagecoach drivers this morning. I was going far slower than normal (the folder having run out of gears!) and the driver behind me kept a good distance back. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure he'd slowed down earlier on to let me out of a junction in front of him. :rolleyes:
If you haven't done so already (same advice to nilling), contact Stagecoach and let them hear the good news.

I've contacted several companies in the past, all to compliment their drivers. A little good news goes a long way.

grhm

Veteran
I've been commuting nearly 2 years - had about 5 or 6 close encouters, all left hooks or leapfrogging before queuing traffic.

Been shouted at 4 times - once by a car driver, but 3 times by groups of teenagers. Once something stupid like "Your wheels are going round!" or the worst was "Boo!" whilst steping into my path ~10feet/0.5second in front of me on a busy road.

"Your wheels are going round", that famous item of hilarity, excellent.

quidditys_shore

Maz said:
Don't be put off commuting...even if your other half is hell-bent against the idea of you doing it!

i wanted to get into commuting last year but the missus (a keen cycler a few years ago) kept going on about having to spend atleast £500 & that icouldnt keep it up. it did put me off last year as she wouldnt help me pick a bike in my range! but this year i've saved money & will be getting a bike in a couple of weeks! ;) i think shes resigned to the fact i'm doing it now!

Brains

Legendary Member
I noticed that in my 1st 3years of London commuting I used to go through a set of brake blocks in under 500 miles, and went through an almost daily close call

Now a-days I guess it closer to 1,000 miles. brake blocks are not better, and nor are car drivers. However I'm better at predicting the stupidity of drivers, and thankfully the close calls barley raise my heart rate most of the time.

Having said which I'll give any bastard cager a piece of my mind if he endangers my life. A big D lock does wonders to a door panel.

I cringe every time the subject of 'is it dangerous' is debated. To suggest that cycle commuting isn't dangerous would be to gloss over the true situation and risks lulling people into thinking it's easy.

Each of us can only speak from our own experience of commuting, and yet there seems to be a pervading attitude that if you are careful enough/skilled enough, you will be fine.

People get hurt all the time commuting by cycle. The bottom line is, you can be doing everything right and still end up getting hurt. Fact, not opinion.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
I cringe every time the subject of 'is it dangerous' is debated. To suggest that cycle commuting isn't dangerous would be to gloss over the true situation and risks lulling people into thinking it's easy.

Each of us can only speak from our own experience of commuting, and yet there seems to be a pervading attitude that if you are careful enough/skilled enough, you will be fine.

People get hurt all the time commuting by cycle. The bottom line is, you can be doing everything right and still end up getting hurt. Fact, not opinion.

I'm not sure anyone here has suggested it isnt potentially dangerous beanz...
But walking can be dangerous, driving can be dangerous, and of course, cycling can be dangerous.

You're absolutely right, you can do everything right...and still end up in trouble, but that's true of everything in life, not just cycling.

From my POV, the purpose of the post is not to gloss over the potential dangers, but to let wannabe commuters know that commuting can be, and very often is, very very rewarding.

Again, i'm not suggesting that the 'negative' post's shouldnt be there. They have great value. Ive learned from them myself, even after years of cycling, i believe i've improved my safety and awareness accordingly. Looking at the helmet cam footage posted here at times has helped me learn the potential dangers and solutions.

No, the only point of the post is to encourage new commuters NOT to be put off by the posts that highlight the dangers we face. They form only a small (albeit important) part of the whole commuting experience.

Top Bottom