Dont be put off commuting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

Just read this thread from start to finish. Well done to the OP it needs to be said occasionally. I think it's human nature to moan now and again and what better place for cyclists to do it. Since moving here from C+ via Bikeradar I've had great advice, laughed my ass off and felt truly sorry for those involved in the more serious incidents (there but for the grace etc). Anyone hanging around here for any length of time must quickly come to the conclusion that commuting is a positive experience.
Pete

hackbike 6

Shame about the C+ forum...I quite liked it.Never post on it now.

historyman

I'm surprised to read the comments of Landslide, First Lift and Waytogoyet, that they had 'daily' incidents cycling in London. I cycled in London several miles a day for several years, and experienced 'incidents' maybe once a fortnight.
I think it depends what you mean. I could get beeped at or have a car going close every couple of days. That to me is not an incident, although it's useful to me to read what others think about these things.

Bodhbh

Guru
Had no incidents so far from other road users, depite making several cock-ups myself not reading the road properly. Think I'm in credit there. Peeps generally been good.

Only abuse has been from pedestrian chavs, maybe 2-3 times since easter - probably cos was on a folder - "give up and get a scooter!", "you look a gay!". Never register what's been said till 1/2 way down the road anyhow.

historyman said:
I'm surprised to read the comments of Landslide, First Lift and Waytogoyet, that they had 'daily' incidents cycling in London. I cycled in London several miles a day for several years, and experienced 'incidents' maybe once a fortnight.
I think it depends what you mean. I could get beeped at or have a car going close every couple of days. That to me is not an incident, although it's useful to me to read what others think about these things.

Historyman – you’re right in the fact it’s down to interpretation. I’m sure, on average, were all subjected to the same driving standards – it’s just how we as cyclists interpret it, and more crucially respond. Personally I would count getting beeped at or overtaken too close as an incident – and you don’t – there’s the difference.
:evil:

A Nutter

Gary Kenny - a cycling quizmaster
Most of my cycling is problem free, last problem I had was in South Shileds and a driver decided to pull out infront of me and threating me!

Wolf04

A Nutter said:
Most of my cycling is problem free, last problem I had was in South Shileds and a driver decided to pull out infront of me and threating me!

Well if you will cycle in dodgy areas.
:-)

Last night was probably my best commute ever!;)

It was pouring down just before I left to go home, and although it has eased a bit by the time I set off it was still raining pretty heavy.

Anyway I go into the Clyde Tunnel cycle path and when I get to the bottom it is flooded above waist height. I know this, because ahead of me is a cyclist wading through it with the water nearly up to his handlebars! I shouted some encouragement and he shouted back with some amusing comments. I decided against it (not good for the bike I would imagine and who knows what's in that water!) so I go back to check out the second tunnel.

On the way down a couple of local lads shout to me to warn me there is possible a small puddle at the bottom. We get chatting, decent enough blokes and a head on. Get to the bottom, same story, totally flooded. Head back up, let the lads know about it, who are on their way down (so why did they think it was a small puddle?!?).

'Oh maaan, wit we gonne daay nooo....' was their reply :tongue:

So I have to take the long route. Adds a few more miles. Oh well, I'm quite enjoying the cycle now. Very sociable! See another cyclist heading to the tunnel, let them know about the flooding. Carry on.

Further on I come across a flooded road. I decide to dismount and walk around the flood, but as I do, I see a young girl (in her 20's) running through the middle of it, having great fun. I shout over

'Very liberating!'

So she starts chatting to me as well, telling me how much fun she is having!!

Great commute! Got in with a smile on my face. Had I been in a car, I would have missed all of this and probably been miserable looking out at the rain.

Of course, I have all of this on camera, and when I get a chance to edit it all I will post it! :biggrin:

I love cycle commuting!:wacko::biggrin::biggrin:

Graham O

magnatom said:
Last night was probably my best commute ever!;)

(SNIPPED)

I love cycle commuting!:tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

What a great report! Sometimes, conditions can be bad, but I've never had an unenjoyable commute.

My trip home yesterday was also a good one. Normally it is straight into hills at the end of a long day so the legs don't really get any warm up. Managed to get 20km in them about 4 o'clock (work related) and they were ready for the commute. Took 7 minutes off my usual time. I think I need to schedule an afternoon ride every day to get ready for the ride home :biggrin:

And this morning, I took the longer scenic route to work. I wonder how many car commuters make their journey longer for the sake of enjoyment?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Funny that - one of my best commutes was totally hailed out, great fun!

hail_small.jpg

Landslide

Rare Migrant
historyman said:
I'm surprised to read the comments of Landslide, First Lift and Waytogoyet, that they had 'daily' incidents cycling in London.

Not me guv, I live in Sheffield!
Will be working in London 3 days a week soon though, I'm sure it will be fine!

Top Bottom