Dont be put off commuting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Overall the small amount of incidents far outweigh the frustration I used to get sitting in queuing traffic :wacko:. Plus the added bonus of getting home at 6 - 6:30 knowing I have done 2 hours exercise and don't have to endure the prima donna's down the gym :biggrin:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Great idea.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, let's just say, despite the odd broken hand and gravel rash, written off bike, it's been a positive experience for me - been riding for 22 years with a fair bit of that cycle commuting, and gaps in between.

Been back riding every day, all weathers, (except heavy ice/snow - which accounted for about 3 days) in the last year) and it's far quicker than most other forms of transport.

Put some thought into your kit (clothing, bike, accessories), what to keep at work etc, and there is good exercise thrown in without having to use 'free time'.

Expect more close calls in city centres - goes without saying really.

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
That is a very good idea.

What do people think about having a general commuting section and an incidents section?

I think it's a bad idea. I know I've complained about the Commuting section in the past, for exactly the reasons GBB pointed out. I don't pop in here nearly as much as previously, but whilst this section feels generally negative, it is as Dom pointed out, for a reason.

Commuting can be incident packed (although happily not for me!) and to move in traffic with confidence and awareness you need to have an appreciation of what incidents might arise and learn how to deal with the risks.

There's obviously a cathartic side to posting incidents too, but to have a commuting section which doesn't deal with incidents would be far less useful.

BTW, people can't help but be drawn the negative stuff - out of 30 threads on page 1 of Commuting, I count 16 positive ones and 14 negative ones.

More useful would be to say take the rough with the smooth - but recognise the smooth more. We all cycle commute because the benefits outweigh the drawbacks and a newbie should be mindful of this.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I don't feel that a separate incidents section would make much difference. Look at the amount of (what might reasonably perceived as) posting in the wrong forum already. From the responses to this thread, it would seem that plenty of folk have very positive views of commuting, but in line with the old adage "No news is good news", it gets posted less frequently.

(ps: has anyone ever come across a "new adage"?)

Bodhbh

Guru
Tetedelacourse said:
BTW, people can't help but be drawn the negative stuff
Yeah, when forums get split up into 'safe' area and one with all the gossip, flame, whines, NSFW or otherwise sensationalist stuff. Guess which one gets read the most...

Maz

Guru
Don't be put off commuting...even if your other half is hell-bent against the idea of you doing it!

boydj

Legendary Member
What a marvellous bunch you are. I've been chasing my work for a year to get into the 'Bike to Work' scheme and I wrote yet again this morning to the head of HR. You've now given me loads of wonderfully positive quotes to use. Thanks.

In response to the OP, what gets me out of bed in the morning is looking forward to the ride into work. I too have had a few 'incidents' and been knocked off a couple of times, but incidents are relatively rare and the benefits far outweigh any negatives.

Sig SilverPrinter

I have to agree about it being cathartic.My other half worries about me cycling and if i tell him about close calls he worries even more so having somewhere to let off steam is very good.

I've been commuting for 9yrs in my very 1st week a bus overtook me realised he was ruuning out of room as there was a traffic island came across and the back of the bus hit my handlebars somehow i managed to stay on which made me feel very pleased with myself!
IT DIDN'T PUT ME OFF CYCLING.
The only time i have been knocked off was by a ped who ran into my path as he looked the other way cos he saw his bus coming.I slammed on my brakes shouting NOOOOOO.I landed on top of him rolled off, he got up asked if I was OK.I called him an idiot told him I was 5 months pregnant he did say sorry but then legged it to catch his bus .Didn't even help me up.
IT DIDN'T PUT ME OFF CYCLING.
The positives far outway the negatives

It looks like the majority want commuting to stay as it is, and I can certainly understand that. It can be negative and I would like to post more positive videos (there is the material) but I only have so much time that I can spend on producing them, so I limit it to the incidents.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
magnatom said:
It looks like the majority want commuting to stay as it is, and I can certainly understand that. It can be negative and I would like to post more positive videos (there is the material) but I only have so much time that I can spend on producing them, so I limit it to the incidents.

I suspect that most "positive" experiences can just be described in text. "Negative" ones tend to be open to more investigation (e.g. were you riding considerately? Are you making a fuss out of nothing?) and therefore it's useful to have the video to back up your POV.

Top Bottom