Dont be put off commuting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Landslide said:
Gawd, he doesn't start on a critique of *ahem* adult sites does he??? :smile::blush:
I hadn't read your post when I replied to sharkyboy! It seems our minds work in a similar way...:biggrin:

(I was going to use the ;) smiley, but that seemed..... too appropriate :biggrin:)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User1314 said:
I'm curious. As a comparison how many times have other people been beeped / shouted at over the last 12 months? And over how many miles days etc...

1 shout and 1 beep in the last 12 months. 29 miles a day round trip however of those 15 miles are rural with very little other traffic.

02GF74

Über Member
I have to admint I hate reading this section; some of the incidents make my p^^s boil, they really do.

fortunately I can use a bridleway for 95% of my commute, only when it rains really heavily, due to the mud, would I take the roads.

there should be more laws to protect the cyclist.

hackbike 6

I've cycled for 3 years now (just a newbie!) and I've posted just over 50 incidents. Some of those have been drivers on mobiles, pavement cyclists, errant pedestrians, people weeing on cycle lanes etc. So only about half of them were incidents as such. Of those, the vast majority are there to highlight the bad driving around cyclists, NOT to show that cycling is dangerous. In fact I would say that in only two incidents, possibly even just one, have I felt in an danger. Even then, there was room for escape.

Isn't it funny (hilarious) how many people on this forum with very little or no experience have (told) me how I should cycle on the road via this forum.I have been cycle commuting for nine times the amount Magnatom has been commuting.(allegedly).I think I do know a few things thanks.Just an observation like.

I know I get pretty cheesed off with it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Experience is not the only guiding indicator of how good someone is. Besides which, I'm happy to learn from anyone, even the complete idiots I come across. Even if someone annoys me incredibly in life in anything, not just cycling, sometimes there's still a good lesson to take away. I view that as a victory over the idiot.

Magnatom is of course not an idiot, he's pretty sensible and knows his stuff.

hackbike 6

...and so do I.Just because I do things different to you doesn't mean im wrong.

At a guess 'Magnatom knows his stuff' is a comment you made because the mighty BM approves of it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It doesn't mean either of us have to agree with everything he does or says, LOL! No need for "mighty BM" comments surely - that reflects more on you than it does on me.

hackbike 6

Sorry not meant to be over the top.I respect your opinion (and others as well) and believe me I don't particularly want to be doored if I can help it.

Sorry about the Mighty BM comment that was silly.

I've always been very open about how long I've commuted. I certainly still have a lot to learn, but I also feel I have something to contribute.

I've been doing judo now for 27 years now. I'm pretty good at it (was ranked 9th in the UK before injury ended my competitive days). However, I still have lots to learn and I do learn something new almost every practice. I also learn lots from relative newbies. Often newbies have different approaches that the 'oldies' haven't thought of before. Just something to keep in mind!

Us oldies at the club have a motto that we like, 'the older I get, the better I was':biggrin:

hackbike 6

I haven't got a problem with that magnatom although I have heard it lots on this forum but never criticized on the road...I generally am always watching what other cyclists do on the road and haven't really seen anything new.Probably a lot of stupid stuff yes and I do the same i.e on the inside of buses and lorries although recently I haven't been pushing that side of my cycling and tend to hold back more.You guys are more confident with your primary lark and im not...that's just the way I am or have ridden for such a long time.I don't really notice too much difference between my positioning and others when out on the road.Sometimes I find (inexperienced?) too defensive and find I have to hold back for when they have to move out to overtake a bus.

Errrrrrrrrr sorry to bore you I forgot what the point of that post was.

Oh yeah lot of wind this week didn't help on the commutes.

Wish I'd done judo for that long.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
User1314 said:
I'm curious. As a comparison how many times have other people been beeped / shouted at over the last 12 months? And over how many miles days etc...

Beeped at once...that was my fault. I lost concentration for a few secs, wandered a little into the road, and driver beeped me as he approached from behind. (dont know whether it was an angry beep, or just a watch out, i'm behind you beep)
Shouted at....never. In god knows how many years cycling, i dont think i've EVER been shouted at by a passing car.

I did have a half empty bottle (plastic thankfully) thrown from a car toward me. Although potentially dangerous, the chav occupnts were probably too high on canabis to aim correctly :tongue:.

Overall, i'd say 'incidents' worth mentioning happen maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I dont get too angry because of, or include occasional near misses, the occasional driver still half asleep (we've all done something dodgy in a car...mistakes happen)...that makes you take evasive action, etc etc.
I consider those just part of life...i'm not going to lose any sleep over them.

I'm glad the post has been recieved well....i thankyou :blush:
I realised by suggesting the page can be a bit negative, i may inflame some contributors opinions. Thankfully thats not been the case. I think you all deserve a virtual pat on the back for seeing beyond that, and confirming what a joy commuting can be.

I don’t think posting incidents in here is necessarily a negative thing – I’ve commuted by bike on and off since leaving school. When I first found the old C+ forum some 5 or 6 years ago (I think?) I found it rather reassuring that I wasn’t the only cyclist to have occasional incidents. I’d also say that I’ve learnt a lot - my road positioning, for example, has really improved as a result of reading responses to other peoples misfortunes.
It’s a sad fact of life if you’re going to cycle in London (and I guess in many other areas as well) that you are going to come across the occasional incident or two. Better to be forewarned than set of with the unrealistic expectation that consideration and courtesy will be afforded to you by every driver on the road.
If someone thinking about cycling to work stumbled across a commuting forum cleansed of incidents they could set out on their first trip in blissful ignorance, get met by some chav in a Vauxhall Nova, and be put off cycling for life.

Top Bottom