Dont bother with meals, take a pill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I expect this to be greeted with howls of outrage but here it comes.
Getting meals is a pain in the arse and if I could just pop a pill that did the job then I would. I say this after years of hearing it from Mrs BG when I stoutly defended the joys of good food and all that went with it Now she works and I don't, and I have to drag my bones round the shops, bring it home, store it, get it out, prepare it, serve it wash up etc and then start over the next day the novelty is wearing thin and I have much more interesting things to spend my time on. She did it for 25 years for a family of six, I've done it for 2 years for 3 and I HATE IT. Do I have even one supporter?? :angry: ( and yes, I do regret not helping more when she had to do it )

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well if it's a meal just for it's nutritional, energy giving properties, a pill that did the job would be fine.

for social meals, such as a night out or a dinner party, i think proper food might be best. oh, and any occasion when wine is to be drunk.

NickM

Veteran
You have to eat in bulk to ingest the macronutrients (carbohydrate, fat and protein) your body requires. Only micronutrients (minerals, vitamins) can be delivered in pill form. So the science fiction of meal replacement by pills is just a fantasy, I'm afraid.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
well if it's a meal just for it's nutritional, energy giving properties, a pill that did the job would be fine.

for social meals, such as a night out or a dinner party, i think proper food might be best. oh, and any occasion when wine is to be drunk.

Yup, anything where its not the daily "get this down ya " to keep the heart beating and the lungs pumping is fine. :angry:

NickM

Veteran
I suppose that in theory you could eat a diet of (say) raw veg, porridge, lard, baked beans and multivitamins, and you'd probably survive at least as well as the majority of people living in the southern hemisphere (and have jolly regular bowel movements! :angry:).

But nutritional health requires a variety of mainly fresh foods, which is why the preparation of a healthy diet requires rather a lot of consideration and time.

Heh heh - the bobg liberation movement is born! But I think, with a little time, you too can be domestic god...!

Women (including your wife) were expected to do this for years, having no choice the matter.... so, there is a wealth of info out there regarding domestic chores and making them more time efficient and easy. For starters (what my mum did) cook loads of stuff on one day (ie huge bolognaise, chilli etc) and freeze it for later. Build up the stock of meals in your freezer and you're free to go on the odd bike ride or six :angry:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Meal times are (especially when my kids were still at home) a great time for social interaction and I'd miss the general chit chat that goes with it.
If I were living alone I think a pill might do every so often - or failing that, baked beans straight from the tin!

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Kirstie said:
Heh heh - the bobg liberation movement is born! But I think, with a little time, you too can be domestic god...!

Women (including your wife) were expected to do this for years, having no choice the matter.... so, there is a wealth of info out there regarding domestic chores and making them more time efficient and easy. For starters (what my mum did) cook loads of stuff on one day (ie huge bolognaise, chilli etc) and freeze it for later. Build up the stock of meals in your freezer and you're free to go on the odd bike ride or six :angry:

Hmmm BobG liberation movement ... I like itxx(

domtyler

Über Member
Bobg, the problem is not one of having to prepare the daily meal, the problem is in you. You are not approaching the task in the right way, you are not getting involved and making it interesting for yourself. You are probably doing it the same way as your wife did it which is not, evidently, the right way for you to be doing it. Am I right at all so far?

Can you think of a different approach that is more you, takes into account your interests and so on?

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
rich p said:
Meal times are (especially when my kids were still at home) a great time for social interaction and I'd miss the general chit chat that goes with it.
If I were living alone I think a pill might do every so often - or failing that, baked beans straight from the tin!

I agree Rich, it was when there were 6 of us at home and I didnt have to get it.:angry: and is ( on the rare occasions when No1 son turns up to eat it) . It's just all the other stuff .......like what the xxxx am I going to get tonight !!!! maybe we should interact round a family size tin of beans and 3 forks. I could manage that.
Here's an example, there I was trying to adjust those bloody canti brakes and suddenly it was 6.10pm and there they were, for all the world like little chicks sitting round the table with their mouths hanging open - lazy sods, trouble is I was one of those "lazy sods " for years . I s'pose its a case of "what comes around " etc

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
domtyler said:
Bobg, the problem is not one of having to prepare the daily meal, the problem is in you. You are not approaching the task in the right way, you are not getting involved and making it interesting for yourself. You are probably doing it the same way as your wife did it which is not, evidently, the right way for you to be doing it. Am I right at all so far?

Can you think of a different approach that is more you, takes into account your interests and so on?

Sorry Dom, it's not interesting, its BORING:biggrin: and I can think of nothing that can make it even remotely interesting:sad:

So is the repetition part the bit you don't like, ie having to do it every day and decide every day? If so, the solution is:
1. plan the week's meals
2. buy in bulk
3. cook in bulk and freeze
4. microwave and add a carb and some veg.

What do you like to eat? Surely making them eat your favourite meals will act as a form of 'revenge' :angry:

domtyler

Über Member
NickM said:
How about seeing how much arsenic you can feed your nearest and dearest without actually poisoning them? :angry:

About that invite to stay over next weekend Nick, sorry we're going to have to cancel I'm afraid as some family thing has cropped up. Maybe some other time though. :smile:

domtyler

Über Member
bobg said:
Sorry Dom, it's not interesting, its BORING:biggrin: and I can think of nothing that can make it even remotely interesting:sad:

How about taking up gardening? A man can take a lot of pleasure in serving up something he has grown himself. And then there is fishing and hunting. Maybe you could go and kill a few wild boar with your bare teeth during the night and then drag it back to the table where you could all lie around gnawing at the carcass and sleeping by day?

Top Bottom