dont feel the need to drink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlfergy

i regularly go riding and do around 34 miles in about 1h 55m approx. Im going quite hard for me, I dont drink while out, just when i get back. Would taking a drink improve my time or is drinking just for longer trips?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why don't you try it and see what difference it makes?

I would always take a drink, even for rides lasting less than an hour (not that I do many under an hour in length). What if you are enjoying yourself and decide to extend your ride? At some point you are definitely going to need a drink so why not carry one just in case?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A lot of people drink just water but I like to mix 1 part of OJ to 2 parts of water. I prefer the taste and it does contain a few calories which will help slightly in keeping the old energy stores topped up. On rides over about 40 miles I add 2 scoops of maltodextrin (carbo) powder per 500 mL of drink. Why not experiment with different drinks and eating on rides and see what suits you best?

One thing is for sure - not eating or drinking enough will eventually lead to the dreaded 'bonk' and you won't want to suffer that more than once! (Before you ask what 'bonking' is - if you don't feel so great on a ride but have to ask if you've bonked, you haven't! When you can't stand up, or remember your own name or where you live - you probably did! :laugh:)

Rapha

There is a placebo effect from drinking a carb drink even if the ride is too short for the energy to be digested before you finish the ride so its one easy way to improve your time. Any ride over an hour and you will benefit from the extra carb.

Even if you decide to no use an energy drink (I would recommend the High5 drinks) then just drinking plain water (or mixed with squash) will help you with your ride. Dehydration by has little as 2% has been shown to have a negative on ride performance

MacLean

ColinJ said:
A lot of people drink just water but I like to mix 1 part of OJ to 2 parts of water. I prefer the taste and it does contain a few calories which will help slightly in keeping the old energy stores topped up. On rides over about 40 miles I add 2 scoops of maltodextrin (carbo) powder per 500 mL of drink. Why not experiment with different drinks and eating on rides and see what suits you best?

One thing is for sure - not eating or drinking enough will eventually lead to the dreaded 'bonk' and you won't want to suffer that more than once! (Before you ask what 'bonking' is - if you don't feel so great on a ride but have to ask if you've bonked, you haven't! When you can't stand up, or remember your own name or where you live - you probably did! ;))

Haha, yeh I remember doing my first 50 miler with only a bit of water. Bonked with about 10 miles to go. Not only that but you start seeing swirly things infront of you! NOT GOOD lol!

Manonabike

Über Member
I always forget to drink but I do drink while riding. People here recommend a mouth full every 15 minutes but I probably drink more but with less frequency. IF I DON'T DRINK then it's a migraine for sure, even if it's under an hour ride

Davidc

Guru
I like a swig of water every so often, and it's a must for swilling insect remains out!

I find that in winter I don't use much, but once really warm weather arrives I can get through a 500ml bottle in an hour.

Top Bottom