Don't get caught out by the weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
On Sunday, I had arranged to meet my CTC East Surrey friends at Purley for a ride over the Surrey South Downs to Rusper in East Sussex. There was light rain when I left home at 7.30, not cold, and very little wind. However, by the time we were up on the Downs at 9.00 the weather had taken a turn for the worse, and we were soon battling the elements. After the mid-moring stop at Waitrose's cafe in Horley, we soldiered on to The Royal Oak at Rusper arriving at 13.00 like drowned, frozen rats. Unfortunately, the open fires were not lit, and any type of food (let alone hot) was not on offer, only a rather frosty greeting from the bar staff to five sodden cyclists dripping all water all over the pub.

Like a fool, I only came out in mitts, and by the time we had left the pub my hands were practically stuck to the bars. Luckily Patrick lent me a spare pair of surgical gloves (he uses them when changing tyres). As the day prolonged, the rain turned to sleet, and the wind blew stronger, I realised how vital these glove were. Without them I am sure the cold would have severely damaged my fingers. As it is, my finger tips are still numb with pins and needles 2 days later!

Be warned: do not underestimate the effect of a combination of the cold, rain, sleet and don’t forget the wind chill factor!

Camrider

And don't forget to check the weather forecast before setting out :evil:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I got caught out not long ago ,rode a route I have done many times ,had gloves and windproof ,all going well until I rode into low cloud at the top of one of the climbs, visibility down to 20 meters and really cold. With no lights I didnt feel safe, not many cars use the mountain road but you still get the odd one to frighten the pants off you. Unless I am staying close to home I allways take lights now.

Nebulous

Guru
I commute in my work clothes, at this time of year often with a waterproof jacket on top. I usually carry a pair of waterproof trousrrs and overshoes with me. Today I had a fairly messy day workwise, with several short journeys around town and a formal meeting, so I wore a better pair of shoes than normal. I left work fairly late, in pouring rain, to discover that I had left my waterproofs at home and one of my front lights, which I dropped yesterday wasn't working.

That couple of miles in driving rain and strong wind was as miserable a time as I have had on a bike for a while.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Never mind the forecast, I know it's gonna rain on me, so I always leave home prepared for a downpour.

Top Bottom