Dont let abuse from motorists spoil your day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi qaz - every incident of "abuse from motorists" illustrates why we need to win their hearts and minds. Purely from a selfish perspective every motorist whos been won over (so to speak) is one motorist less likely to be abusive to cyclists on the road. Like them or loathe them , its about our self interest. Every antagonised motorist is one more motorist likely to drive without care for the safety of cyclists.
Colins point regarding where safety concerns deem it safer to ride 2 abreast is wholey valid and everyone agrees that cyclists should cycle according to there own best safety.
However, however much you try and take control of the situation and try not to allow the atttitude 'I'm bigger, harder and faster than you. Get out of my way!' ultimately the cyclist is vulnerable , the cyclist is going to come off worse when incidents occur. This is why, unpalatable as it may be, it is in all our interests to win hearts and minds. That does not mean riding unsafely or kow towing to motorists - its means riding with courtesy and consideration , and not unnessecarily making enemies. Adopting an adversarial approach is not in the longterm best interests of cyclists at large.

Very well put.

You can ride safely, take control at junctions etc and still show consideration for others.It doesnt hurt to pull right off the road on a narrow country road for example, have a breather and let any cars get past. Most wont but at least some will appreciate your consideration and hopefully think better of cyclists as a whole.

Personally i cant relax with impatient motorists behind me anyway.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Being a road user is about courtesy and consideration. Without it you quickly get stressed.

apollo179

So you don't believe a group of road bikers could maintain 30mph?
Maybe if they had you behind chasing them in your car :hello:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As long as there isn't a head wind then 30mph is achievable by one cyclist. A tailwind and a group of well orgazied cyclists could easily break 30mph

al78

Guru
This is my experience too. Sometimes when I'm driving the lorry, cyclists annoy me. But only because I'm thinking "oh, for f**k's sake, claim your road space and stop wobbling about in the gutter. You need to be in primary here to stop me squeezing past you (not that I'm going to) ... " and so forth.:rolleyes:

The first section of my commute takes me two miles along the main road to Guildford and involves a short uphill section, just steep enough to put a big dent in my speed. I get a little embarrassed when a HGV comes up behind at this moment as there is nowhere to pull over to let it past and thus I have just killed most of their momentum. In your experience is it really annoying for HGV drivers to have to slow right down on a hill then accelerate back up to speed?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
so my view on this is that i will cycle safely, regardless of what others around me are doing. that means if i need to get out of the way of motons i will do so. if they are being arses that's their fault not mine. i won't make myself a target, defensive cycling is the way for me. i'm not going to end up as a statistic. i'm going to stay out of the gutter because that means its easier for people to see me and possibly overtake properly, but i'm not going to get arsey about it if someone doesn't. my safety is my responsibility. if some one wants to be a dickhead on the road, i can't change that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Can anyone confirm the legality on bells? From what I can tell from the highway code they are recommended to warn pedestrians that you are approaching which is of course useful when you are riding on pedestrian footpaths

Bikes must be sold with them, nowadays, but there's no legal compulsion to keep it on, or have one fitted.

Top Bottom