Dont Need Quick Release!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Hi

I have just ordered a Giant Rincon from Wiggle and it has quick release on front and back. I know its there for a reason but I do short none competitive trips and I carry a spanner. I don't really want to have to carry 2 (or 1 very long) lock(s) around with me or take the back wheel off when ever I park up.

I have 4 spare wheels at home which have been removed from budget mountain bikes which have been scrapped. Is there any way which I can use the parts from these to replace the quick release with an ordinary spindle? Or can you actually buy a kit to convert it?

Thanks in advance!

Mr Pig

If the bits you've got are the right size you can use, them or you can just buy a couple of spindles and bolts from a bike shop. The cones and spacers from the QR spindles will just swap over onto the new ones.

It's very simple. QR spindles are just the same as normal ones except a bit shorter with a hole through the middle.

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Great thanks!

My initial idea was to try and use a traditional spindle off one of my spare wheels for security reasons. However I guess a 15mm spanner is just as easy for a theif to get hold of as a set of allen keys! So its probably more cost effective for me to spend £10 on new sqewers. Besdies if I'm buying a new bike I don't want to be restricting its performance by fitting old parts do I.

Any ideas as to which brand to go for and how much to spend? Are these any good below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Halo-Hex-Key-...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
One tip with quick release levers ... don't use only the wheel to lock the bike up with. I keep meaning to print up some stickers to put on bikes I see like that in the racks:biggrin: (I'm assuming that nobody on here would do that).

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Never botherd to lock the front wheel up on mine, and it hasnt gone walkies.
If i did though, i would just take the front wheel out, put it next to the frame and put my D-lock through the front wheel, frame and rear wheel in one.
But then i hardly lock my bike up:wacko:

Top Bottom