Don't ride to get a tattoo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benthedoon

Yesterday (9/7/10) was a scorcher in beautiful Essex as I believe it was for most of the country. I had a tattoo session booked (it was booked a long time ago) and as my wife and I now share a car I had decided to ride to the appointment but I was being picked up (sunshine and sweat are not good for a fresh bit of ink).
The time has come for me to leave, 12:25pm, that's right I'm a moron!
I made a mental note to go at a steady, comfortable pace and drink lots of water it's only 15 miles but lets face it yesterday was hot, very hot as I recall it was around 32•c. I set off, steady and comfortable I even had a short break about 10 miles in, when I arrived I had a quick look at the time on my phone 13:10!!
Now on one hand I'm very pleased that even in that heat and over a relatively short distance I could maintain a 20mph average speed but my God did I pay for it when I was under the needle, I don't like being tattooed at the best of times but yesterday was hell on earth, genuinely the worst pain I've had - ever.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can teach myself to ride a bit slower?
I seem to ride at the same pace irrespective of the distance being covered, I've tried maintaining cadance but in a lower gear but I end up changing gear because I'm going too slowly. I'm doing 20 miles regularly but unless I can pace myself better I think 25-30 is going to be my max.

Most folk have the opposite problem :biggrin:

For regulating speed I find having my computer set to average speed lets me control things; its not hard to raise or lower the gears/ cadence as necessary.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Yesterday (9/7/10) was a scorcher in beautiful Essex as I believe it was for most of the country. I had a tattoo session booked (it was booked a long time ago) and as my wife and I now share a car I had decided to ride to the appointment but I was being picked up (sunshine and sweat are not good for a fresh bit of ink).
The time has come for me to leave, 12:25pm, that's right I'm a moron!
I made a mental note to go at a steady, comfortable pace and drink lots of water it's only 15 miles but lets face it yesterday was hot, very hot as I recall it was around 32•c. I set off, steady and comfortable I even had a short break about 10 miles in, when I arrived I had a quick look at the time on my phone 13:10!!
Now on one hand I'm very pleased that even in that heat and over a relatively short distance I could maintain a 20mph average speed but my God did I pay for it when I was under the needle, I don't like being tattooed at the best of times but yesterday was hell on earth, genuinely the worst pain I've had - ever.

I seem to ride at the same pace irrespective of the distance being covered, I've tried maintaining cadance but in a lower gear but I end up changing gear because I'm going too slowly. I'm doing 20 miles regularly but unless I can pace myself better I think 25-30 is going to be my max.

I can definitely teach you to ride slower ,just follow me :-)

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

I just read my closing comments again, I didn't mean for them to sound as egotistical as they do I just meant I have trouble riding at any other pace.
I try not to look at my computer too much but I don't ever have it set to average speed, such a simple solution I feel quite stupid now.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I just read my closing comments again, I didn't mean for them to sound as egotistical as they do I just meant I have trouble riding at any other pace.
I try not to look at my computer too much but I don't ever have it set to average speed, such a simple solution I feel quite stupid now.

One thing I have noticed is that when I set off with plenty of time to get somewhere and ride nice and relaxed no pressure enjoying the scenery style, my speed is allways quicker than expected, maybe only 1 or max 2 mph slower than iof I go flat out and arrive knackered and sweaty.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

So it's not just me that has an average riding speed or natural riding speed no matter what the intention then.
I'm going to try watching the computer for average speed and ignoring the computer but checking average speed at the end but maybe 18-20 is just my pace and I need to work on stamina.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

That's a very good point, after years on MTBs and BMXs I think I've become addicted to the speed of a road bike so strength and stamina work is the answer.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Pretend you don't have any brakes. Contrary to expectation, this makes things go a lot slower as you end up cycling far more tentatively around lanes / corners / etc. Alternatively, ride a bike like mine where everything creaks if you push too hard. The noise will force you to back off :rolleyes:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

I understood exactly what you meant, because that's like me and walking - I'm like an express train on two legs!
I just do not do walking slowly very well, and when I have to, it feels all strange, my legs don't quite seem to know what to do and I sort of flail about instead (at least that's what it feels like).

To cycle slower, you just have to override what your body is telling you, regardless of how strange it feels or how daft you think you look.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

Ive seen my wife give birth and I don't fancy that either!! but at least my tattoos only cost me money once lol.
I'm not riding to my next one though, I think I'd used up all my adrenaline on the ride and had nothing to fihght the pain with.

Fattman

I'm doing 20 miles regularly but unless I can pace myself better I think 25-30 is going to be my max.

This may be a hard way of doing it - just set out on a longer ride where you don't turn around until you're 25 miles away. Then you'll either blow up horribly on the way back - and that will make you ride slower next time 'cos you won't want it to happen again - or you'll cane it for 50 miles and find that you're fit enough to ride that fast whatever!

(I have learnt through age and experience to match pace to distance, but I tend to approach riding in the same way as my 5 year-old son - as fast as possible at all times!)

Top Bottom