Don't think a club is for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
well, there are people in the Fridays capable of breaking the hour for a 25, and they don't seem to mind tootling along at 11 mph.
And yet, the Fridays would be slower than some clubs' "beginners" ride. I think that naming's a bit insulting to veterans who just don't want to knock themselves out any more, for health reasons or just because it doesn't seem fun just now.

I ride with a so-called easy rider group, which plans on 10mph but is sometimes slower, sometimes faster, but no one left behind. It's about going places not going fast, with usually some interesting chat along the way.

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Local club- which I am sure must be ok do not have the sort of slower, deffo not beginners rides
I would like rides for several levels , but with the cold and blowy weather, I have slowed down. I am still getting the miles in but these are all solo, would like the opportunity of riding with others.
There are masses of cyclist round here

speccy1

I was a member of my local club for about 3 years, had some really good rides - although 8am on a Sunday morning is a struggle to do every week. Took part in some good events, made friends, and the social side was great.

I did, however end up on the committee, taking on more and more tasks which stressed me out to the point where I left. Nobody`s fault, just the extra pressure on top of working full time and having a very hectic life ruined it for me. The other thing I didn`t like was the guilt if I didn`t turn up on a Sunday, even though nobody gives a **it, you still feel guilty!

I may go back eventually as I enjoyed my time as a member, but just for rides and the odd pint here and there, nothing more.

mjr

although 8am on a Sunday morning is a struggle to do every week. Took part in some good events, made friends, and the social side was great.
Yeah, 8am wouldn't do me. We ride out at 10am from the middle of town. I think the faster local groups ride out at 6am (summer only), 9am and 9.30, but from outside town (and not on my side).
I did, however end up on the committee, taking on more and more tasks which stressed me out to the point where I left. Nobody`s fault, just the extra pressure on top of working full time and having a very hectic life ruined it for me.
Yes, that's difficult in any group... being helpful but saying no before it becomes too much.
I am still getting the miles in but these are all solo, would like the opportunity of riding with others.
There are masses of cyclist round here
Why not set yourself up a group? I think the easiest site to do that on at the moment is (spit) www.goskyride.com but it's worth advertising on forums (cycling and local) that allow it, too. You may still end up riding solo but it might start something beautiful...

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Yeah, 8am wouldn't do me. We ride out at 10am from the middle of town. I think the faster local groups ride out at 6am (summer only), 9am and 9.30, but from outside town (and not on my side).

Yes, that's difficult in any group... being helpful but saying no before it becomes too much.

Why not set yourself up a group? I think the easiest site to do that on at the moment is (spit) www.goskyride.com but it's worth advertising on forums (cycling and local) that allow it, too. You may still end up riding solo but it might start something beautiful...
I don't need the hassle at present, I might, but if/when I am free of current commitments maybe

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It is a constant problem - how to cater for all abilities, as you are relying on the goodwill of club members who give up their time to arrange and lead rides. I haven't an answer.

mjr

Charityrides are on the Bike events.com website...also are slow pace and fun..You see lots of novelty bikes on those. all taking their time...I have a few I use also.
Beware those. They're all helmet-required rides, which are basically no fun and appeal to racing-style riders who already have helmets.

Jay.a1

Hi Stone. Did you ever get round to finding a non elite club? I am in the same sort of boat as you I think. I'm not a 13mph rider but not a 20 mph rider either as my best is an average of 18.8 mph but that was over 14.5 miles only. I'd like to look at a club but I just don't know if I could cut it really. I'm also in staines :-) oh and I'm 45 so no spring chicken :-)

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Hi Stone. Did you ever get round to finding a non elite club? I am in the same sort of boat as you I think. I'm not a 13mph rider but not a 20 mph rider either as my best is an average of 18.8 mph but that was over 14.5 miles only. I'd like to look at a club but I just don't know if I could cut it really. I'm also in staines :-) oh and I'm 45 so no spring chicken :-)
Hi

Well I worked hard and got my average speed up.
From riding at 14mph, I now ride at around 16 mph on most rides. Even yesterday did 50 miles with 4 good hills and still just made 15 mph.

I took the plunge and did three club rides, and no problem keeping up.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi

From riding at 14mph, I now ride at around 16 mph on most rides. Even yesterday did 50 miles with 4 good hills and still just made 15 mph.

I took the plunge and did three club rides, and go problem keeping up.

Which club did you join?

jnrmczip

Start your own meet up group via the meet up app for android sure you can do it online also means cyclists in your are using it can join in and when you or they post a ride at the pace your looking for or you have a ride they are looking for you will have people to go with

screenman

Legendary Member
There are clubs within clubs within clubs, the club I belong too has about 175 members only about a dozen do the Sunday club ride, but most of the other members are happy to be joined on any ride they do.

Jay.a1

Hi

I took the plunge and did three club rides, and go problem keeping up.
Oh excellent work. Well done..! Did you join the one that starts on Staines bridge, Hounslow and district wheelers?

JMAG

Über Member
I'd like to look at a club but I just don't know if I could cut it really. I'm also in staines

Hi Jay, not sure if Windsor is too far for you, but there is a very friendly club here called Windsor Road Cycling Club http://www.meetup.com/WRCCUK/

They may say 17+ mph, but in reality it's more like 15mph . . . at least when I ride with them. Small groups at a very civilised 9:30 on a Saturday morning. If you are interested get in touch on meetup and I'm sure the guys would be happy to organise a route via Staines so we could pick you up along the way.

I haven't been cycling long and although I don't mind riding alone, I enjoy riding with group. I've found them very supportive and accommodating.

Jay.a1

Hi Jay, not sure if Windsor is too far for you, but there is a very friendly club here called Windsor Road Cycling Club http://www.meetup.com/WRCCUK/

They may say 17+ mph, but in reality it's more like 15mph . . . at least when I ride with them. Small groups at a very civilised 9:30 on a Saturday morning. If you are interested get in touch on meetup and I'm sure the guys would be happy to organise a route via Staines so we could pick you up along the way.

I haven't been cycling long and although I don't mind riding alone, I enjoy riding with group. I've found them very supportive and accommodating.

Thanks for that Jmag. I'll take a look :-)

Top Bottom