Dont use blue lights, you aint a copper!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Last night I was a passenger in my Father's car and as we drove up our road we could see a flashing blue light ahead coming from the other way. Dad slowed down as we got close and we realised it was just some bloke on a cycle. He wasn't a cycling policeman, or a PCSO, or a paramedic etc, yet he was using a blue flashing light.

Needless to say it seemed to cause some confusion for the drivers behind him who didn't know if they could overtake him or not. There must have been about 8 cars, all politely following him and giving him loads of space despite the fact they had plenty of opportunity to overtake before we were even close.;)

Whilst it was quite funny to see, and even thinking back on it, the guy is really going to have a bit of a shock when he gets pulled for it. The Police around here may ignore some ninja-cyclists, they wont ignore blue lights (remembering the chavmobile that was pulled a little while back for having blue neons under his car chassis)

So my message to those considering using or buying them is this: dont. At the very least you might cause a situation for an official blue light where it isnt respected.

End rant.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
downfader said:
all politely following him and giving him loads of space despite the fact they had plenty of opportunity to overtake before we were even close

Neat!

thomas

the tank engine
palinurus said:

+1...if it keeps him safe I'm not going to fuss. Maybe the Police should do more to stop him feeling like he needs to rely in a flashing blue light, by making the roads safer for cyclists.

yashicamat

thomas said:
+1...if it keeps him safe I'm not going to fuss. Maybe the Police should do more to stop him feeling like he needs to rely in a flashing blue light, by making the roads safer for cyclists.

Unfortunately in reality what will happen is motorists will slowly form a disregard for a flashing blue light . . . then it'll be the real emergency services who get hindered.:sad:

Keep it legal folks, white at the front and red at the back. I don't particularly like the green at the front either, but that's me.:sad:

adscrim

Veteran
There is a letter in this weeks CW regards blue lights and advising commuters to get one (advice coming from the letter writer but the magazine published it). His theory was that car drivers almost don't see red lights any more but they take notice of a blue flashing light. I was thinking this a bit risky from an impersonating a policeman way.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
adscrim said:
There is a letter in this weeks CW regards blue lights and advising commuters to get one (advice coming from the letter writer but the magazine published it). His theory was that car drivers almost don't see red lights any more but they take notice of a blue flashing light. I was thinking this a bit risky from an impersonating a policeman way.

CW has published a fair few of those letters in the past 2 years iirc. :sad:

There is nothing to be gained from using an illegal light set up. If we want to be taken seriously we all need to set an example, and I dont think CW have done that with these letters.

Thomas, Palinurus, it was interesting to watch but then the reality set in. I agree more needs to be done, but we also have to do our bit.

Slightly OT, but I must admit my lighting is "dodgy"

I do have a pair of "Bobby Dodgers" that satisfy the legalities, but my backup lighting is so far in excess of the standrads of RVLR and BS6102/3 that they would never be legal.

Arch

Married to Night Train
yashicamat said:
Unfortunately in reality what will happen is motorists will slowly form a disregard for a flashing blue light . . . then it'll be the real emergency services who get hindered.:sad:

Plus 1, and then hope it's not you waiting for a cycle paramedic one day when they are getting hindered.

There are plenty of ways to be eyecatching without a blue light. I go for several reds, some flashing, some steady, some in my pedals - those get a lot of positive comments from other cyclists....

Plus of course, my POLITE waistcoat. Deemed acceptable by at least two real coppers.

My lighting has been commented on recently.Some bloke at Liverpool Street was commenting on my MR16 (21 led)lamp and I saw a moton giving it a good look tonight.

A Scottish cyclist this morning remarking on my rear lights.All for the good.

4 on the bag one on the bike plus a backup...hidden.

Bman

Guru
I agree. It is a bad idea to use blue lights in the context of the OP. The police (quite rightly) take a very dim view of this, as I’m sure will be evident to us when one of the resident "CC PC's" spot this thread.

However, I am a little amazed (and maybe a little impressed) at the driver behavior it seems to create. That’s how all of us (with normal, legal lights) should be treated!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
yashicamat said:
Unfortunately in reality what will happen is motorists will slowly form a disregard for a flashing blue light . . . then it'll be the real emergency services who get hindered.:ohmy:

Keep it legal folks, white at the front and red at the back. I don't particularly like the green at the front either, but that's me.:ohmy:

+1

Any cyclist who is not a member of the emergency services on a call, using a flashing blue light should be fined, have the light confiscated and made to walk the rest of the way. Using a blue light like that is stupid and arrogant, flashing blue lights are for the emergency services only and should be respected as such. :ohmy:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Could have done with a set tonight so the silly old mare who decided not to wait behind the parked car on her side of the road and happily blundered over in front of me and nearly gained a cyclists shaped bonnet mascot ! I know they are wrong but splattering cyclists season has started again now the ice and snow have gone.....to top it all, it was on the same bloody road i had my hit and run on :ohmy:

Crankarm

Guru
adscrim said:

CW is not called the Comic for nothing :evil:. This is not the first letter they have published advocating the use of blue lights which they support as they have not distanced themselves from the irresponsible behaviour by adding an Editor's note. CW published a series of them before Christmas, one they even gave Star Letter of the Month treatment and a top of the range cycling computer for the plank author who stated that using blue flashing lights kept him safe and was the way to go. The stance of CW on this is clearly irresponsible and would be laughable if on reflection it didn't have serious implications for all the other reasons stated here. It is illegal.

Impersonating the police or other emergency services is an offence and causes confusion on the roads. Blue lights are reserved for the emergency services. The only colour of lights that can be used on a bike are red at the back and white at the front. As others have said there are much more sensible and effective ways of making your self visible without resorting to using blue lights. Cyclists who choose to use them who are not entitled to ie not police officers, paramedics, etc., are either ignorant muppets or selfish arrogant planks. Period.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think you all (generally) are being a tad jobsworthy on the whole blue light thing. It's wrong, but it's not axe murdering, nor is it nearly as bad as driving on the mobile.

Arch said:
There are plenty of ways to be eyecatching without a blue light.

Plus of course, my POLITE waistcoat. Deemed acceptable by at least two real coppers.

Isn't that just slightly hypocritical? It's OK to look like police as long as you don't have a flashing blue light?

BentMikey said:
I think you all (generally) are being a tad jobsworthy on the whole blue light thing. It's wrong, but it's not axe murdering, nor is it nearly as bad as driving on the mobile.

Isn't that just slightly hypocritical? It's OK to look like police as long as you don't have a flashing blue light?

I totally agree

The hi-viz waistcoats with "polite" on the back were designed to look like "Police" at a glance ...... Pot and Kettle spring to mind

there are loads of cyclist riding around Exeter with blue flashing lights and the police dont bother ... not that we have cycle police or paramedics on bikes down here

Simon

Top Bottom