Don't wear black in the countryside - CC Ecosse ride 22/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It was a bright and sunny day ... wait a minute, that should be wrong, the story of this ride unfolds in Scotland, it cannae be! But it was so :biggrin:
Our fearless, intrepid leader for the day was @Telemark, fair maiden with legs of steel, provider of cake, planner of routes with more descends than ascends. How did she manage that? @Rasmus take note, it could be the start of a new trend.
Picture of Telemark below, the rest are published here for your perusal.
Telemark (427x640).jpg

We met at the Edinburgh Commonwealth Pool for a swift 50 miler, some came by train, some by car, some rode it to the meeting point ... one Strava trophy chaser rode 50 miles before the 50 miler. Can you guess who? :whistle:
Our peloton of 11 consisted in me (plus my pal PJ), @Telemark ,@Rasmus ,@Brandane ,@MikeW-71 (purveyor of excellent homemade flapjack), @HonestMan1910 (plus pal Col), @DougieAB, and first CC Ecosse timer @Cameronmu917772.
@Scoosh was to picked up en route at Musselburgh.
Bang on time we set out on our quest to find the most exquisite coffee and cake available in East Lothian's farmlands on a Saturday afternoon.
The more we infiltrated inland, the more it reminded me of Stornoway on a Sunday. An Asda 24 hours would make good business if they had horse parking :thumbsup:

Now, I like, in moderation, to ride with faster people than me.
Gives one a wee challenge, a scope for improvement, but setting off at 19mph and keeping that pace until it was rendez-vous time with Scoosh, (a good 6 miles that was, albeit on the flat) made me slightly knackered before the hills even started: this lead eventually to me gently inviting @HonestMan1910 to "push off" on his bike.
I don't mind folks talking to me when I'm wheezing, but to expect an answer back?? Please!
Meantime, our Rasmus was mourning the apparent lack of climbs to sprint on , while young Cameron (he who asked if there was going to be a support car :rofl: ) turns out to be the fastest of us all!

PJ and I are not be Belles on Bikes for nothing: 10 miles into the ride we were really itching to take a picture - or 2 :girl:we saw the gates of a stately home begging to be photographed with us posing in front, so we cunningly ask about the location to the group, stopped at lights.
They grunted back something curt, pedals up like horses in their start gates.
We stubbornly took the pictures ... they dumped us! :eek:
Never mind, say I, can see them going up the roundabout, we will catch up, surely they will wait.
They didn't wait, us two silly billies missed a turn, almost ended up on the motorway back to Edinburgh :laugh:
Rasmus had to come get us, adeptly like lost sheep back to the flock.
The state of my hairdo has nothing to do with the analogy by the way.

Nothing much happened until after the coffee stop: we saw more horses, some wildlife, lots of manure, some mud, lots of potholes au naturel, some craters filled with manure, some filled with mud.
There was a road sign "beware, ducks crossing". Would have liked to take a photo, dared not in case I got lost again!
It was getting warmer, we had a slight side wind: all good.

On the second part of the ride we decide to stop in a scenic location for a group photo.
It is here that we meet the country version of WVM wannabe SMIDSY.
Imagine a long, desolated road. Visibility is good for miles. Us and bikes on the grass verge, out of any incoming traffic, I'm on one side taking the camera shot, the rest is on the other side grimacing "cheese".
Suddenly farmer type of guy at the wheel of a blue Range Land Rover Defender 90 appears, stops in front of us, starts preaching thus:
Just like 3 crows on a black wall, I couldna see you, ------ black (did not register any work but "black" of the sentence, I thought the language spoken was ancient Armenian, got enlightened that it was the local dialect.
Did we disturb a nest of birds?
Before I could ask, the farmer looks down (not hard to do, as he was in his 'bent) at an amused Scoosh, saying "I see you're laying down, taking it easy" like it was a misdemeanor punishable by 6 months of community sheep herding.
The man mumbled away, till @Brandane attacked him with his bike and a few chosen words while we cheered on amused.
Picture below, more in the album.
Brandane attacks farmer (640x427).jpg

What was that all about?
The farming equivalent of our townie WVM was complaining some of us were dressed in black, we should not ride dressed in black, because, guess what? SMIDSY! :laugh:
Wind now firmly in our face, we rode away having no doubt provided the driver with enough topics for many sessions in his local. CC Ecosse riders left once again a lasting impression!

Strava of my ride here, faster versions are available ^_^
Till the next one :hello:

Mod Scoosh Edit to correct impression of vehicle - utility Land Rover, not 'posh' Range Rover !

Last edited by a moderator:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Brilliant pat. Great write up. Thanks a lot. Well done everyone and beware of farmers. They're a tricky breed.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thanks, @Pat "5mph" - I have made a wee correction to your post ... it was very much a farmer enjoying having some banter with a bunch of cyclists - all very good natured and I certainly had no impression of "the country version of WVM wannabe SMIDSY." We were having a light-hearted chat and his question "Have you ever seen a craw fly and a dug sit on his tail ?", I fear was slightly 'lost in translation' to your audio receptors ! ^_^

His comments about the hi-viz were somewhat countered by my asking him "would you see a black coo on the road ... ?"

I think we should be more aware to photo stops in future rides - and not have the front folk charging away into the ever-distant yonder. :headshake:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

@Scoosh cheers for correcting my car models: I'm such an ignoramus with car make and models!
A wee funny tale about this: once a would be suitor :girl: gave me a lift, so I asked him, just to make conversation "nice car, what is it?"
He frostly answered " it's a Jaguar" .... opssss :blush:
Yes, I took some liberties with the telling of the tale: author's prerogative ^_^

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

I see you even got some strava trophies :smile:.
Did you notice T.? Some technical glitch I suppose, can't be right.
On 2 segments I seem to be ahead of Rasmus! Maybe the lost signal in the tunnel confused the Garmin somehow.
I don't take Strava too seriously, handy for keeping a tally of the miles and for following routes though.

Top Bottom