Don't work today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
longers said:
They surprised me and are keeping me on. I won't be celebrating as good people, good friends and colleagues were not kept on :sad:.
It isn't pleasant when that happens, been there a few times :sad:(me out, or friends out). Permit yourself a quiet tinny later though.... :smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
Yeah? Are workplace dismissals that common in academia?

Do they let you keep the tools of your trade? ;)

simoncc

Until about 12 years ago I worked for a large financial company that paid everyone weekly since the company started in the 19th century. Everyone from the cleaners, sales staff, head and district office staff, solicitors, accountants, IT staff, actuaries, to the managing director got paid weekly. When they proposed to change to monthly paypackets a few of us raised the issue of Feb 29 pay as the company had published yearly wage figures exactly 52 weeks and 1 day times the current weekly wages. The union got on to it and the new yearly wages were upped by the quarter day's pay.

What amused me about the change to monthly pay was how pleased many people were about it even though it cost them money. For some reason many staff thought it was a bit downmarket to be paid weekly, and actually preferred get paid in arrears at the end of each month. Lending my first week of the months wages to the company for the remainder of the month at 0% interest didn't seem to be an improvement in working conditions to me. Under the old weekly system, by the end of the month my first 3 paypackets were already in my bank account earning interest for me, not languishing in the company's bank account earning money for them.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I get my salary paid four weekly, which means that I get 13 paydays a year. Because of the leap year, this year I will get 14 paydays. It is some strange formula that means that the extra days for a leap year gets paid every eight years? I am not sure what happens if you leave the company before the extra paydays, maybe it is built in to the pay when rounding it up when you leave? Being paid four weekly is really good for me, I don't think I would like to be "monthly" paid.

longers said:
They surprised me and are keeping me on. I won't be celebrating as good people, good friends and colleagues were not kept on ;).

I'm glad to hear you're OK but understand your feelings. Agree with Fnaar, permit yourself a tinny. Remember also, that even if it's a big blow at the time, most people seem to end up back in decent jobs.

Dave5N

Über Member
simoncc said:
Until about 12 years ago I worked for a large financial company that paid everyone weekly since the company started in the 19th century. Everyone from the cleaners, sales staff, head and district office staff, solicitors, accountants, IT staff, actuaries, to the managing director got paid weekly. When they proposed to change to monthly paypackets a few of us raised the issue of Feb 29 pay as the company had published yearly wage figures exactly 52 weeks and 1 day times the current weekly wages. The union got on to it and the new yearly wages were upped by the quarter day's pay.

What amused me about the change to monthly pay was how pleased many people were about it even though it cost them money. For some reason many staff thought it was a bit downmarket to be paid weekly, and actually preferred get paid in arrears at the end of each month. Lending my first week of the months wages to the company for the remainder of the month at 0% interest didn't seem to be an improvement in working conditions to me. Under the old weekly system, by the end of the month my first 3 paypackets were already in my bank account earning interest for me, not languishing in the company's bank account earning money for them.

You're a serious and miserable fecker, ain't yer?

Dave5N

Über Member
I mean it's peanuts, innit?

Even if I could somehow not spend a months wages at all (I wish!) and put it all into savings at 6%, it would only earn me about £17.50

Given it goes out as quick as it comes in, we are talking probably 50p at most.

curve

I am my own boss so I skive work as much as possible and nobody tells me off for it.

simoncc

It's a good job Wayne Rooney and other footballers are paid weekly. In a leap year getting paid monthly would cost a £100,000 pw footballer over £14,000.

simoncc

Dave5N said:
You're a serious and miserable fecker, ain't yer?

No. You are. I've noticed that people who like to point out how miserable others are bitter, twisted people who do it in a vain attempt to convince themselves and others of their own affable good-naturedness.

I don't like pay cuts. Most people don't. That's why I and a few colleaugues pointed to the company out that a switch from weekly to monthly pay meant a pay cut of a quarter of a day's pay per year. The company agreed and put up everyone's new yearly rate, so thanks to us everybody didn't lose any cash. We did everyone employed at the company a favour and all you, Dave5N can do is moan and whinge about it. Just how miserable does that make you?

bonj2

This 'working a day for free' is bollocks.
If you get paid by the year, then you get paid to work THE YEAR, however many days it contains. The earth goes round the sun every 365.25 days.

Paulus said:
I get my salary paid four weekly, which means that I get 13 paydays a year. Because of the leap year, this year I will get 14 paydays. It is some strange formula that means that the extra days for a leap year gets paid every eight years? I am not sure what happens if you leave the company before the extra paydays, maybe it is built in to the pay when rounding it up when you leave? Being paid four weekly is really good for me, I don't think I would like to be "monthly" paid.

i used to get that when i worked in dixons, good thing is one month you get two paydays and only one set of bills...

simoncc

When I was a teacher I particularly enjoyed my August paypacket as I never worked a single day of that month.

Top Bottom