Dont you just love some attitudes!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ratty2k

Found this on a Warrington forum....

Not sure whether or not to laugh or not!

And I quote-
"What on earth is a bloody "cage driver" is that some smart arsed liberal attempt at a new "funny" name for car drivers?

As for equality for cyclists; pay tax, get insurance, put some lights on, stay on the bike lanes, stop riding on the footpaths near my sons school and maybe then people will listen. Until then you should have no more right to be on the road than a skateboarder"

Well, in answer, yes I do have lights, I do pay tax- I own a car. I'll use bike lanes if they are of a decent standard- but on my commute there are none of a decent standard. And I dont ride on footpaths.

I also stop at red lights!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
ratty2k said:
Until then you should have no more right to be on the road than a skateboarder"

Cyclists and skateboarders are on the road by right. Car drivers only by license. What does that say?

Tynan

Veteran
got my very first 'ride on the pavement' tirade last night

I did signal and start to move out to clear roadworks though in fairness

Maz

Guru
I'm not sure that using the term 'cager' (for 'driver') is particularly helpful.
It's generally used with a negative connotation, right?
Most of us on here are probably 'cagers'.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Cyclists and skateboarders are on the road by right. Car drivers only by license. What does that say?

I thought it was just pedestrians by right?

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

"Cager" could be classed as slightly derogatory I suppose. But then it is aimed at the drivers who aim for me on the roads....... And with the attitude of some drivers out there if it brings cyclists into their thought process a bit more, it cant (IMO) really be that bad.

jonesy

Guru
ratty2k said:

[idiot]
As for equality for cyclists; pay tax, get insurance, put some lights on, stay on the bike lanes, stop riding on the footpaths near my sons school and maybe then people will listen. ... [/idiot]

Hmm. The usual rant isn't it. Sadly an awful lot of the 'bike lanes' are also footpaths, so what are we supposed to do?B)

Tetedelacourse

Sadly, people do listen to them though.

Over Christmas, I happened to be at the inlaws when some of their friends arrived for a coffee. Then more appeared. Eventually there was I, trapped with the kids and wife in a roomful of elderly folk who knew best about everything. A ringleader was outraged at the addition of speedbumps in the village where they all live, and how it was ridiculous that he, in his Merc, be expected to put up with these ludicrous "hazards" in the middle of his village. He'd started a campaign to abolish them and folk were swearing they'd get behind the movement.

Inconvenience to him = minimal. Effect in slowing traffic = high.

God. Given. Right. To. Do. What. He. Likes. On. The. Road. In. His. Car. And. To. Hang. With. Everyone. Else.

Had I known him better or met him in a different setting I'd have taken him to task. As it was, I rolled my eyes and got the troops together and left as soon as I could.

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Yeah, but their attitude is more so. Got fingers waved at me when one passed me within a foot of my bars...... and then one decides that he can pull out of the junction on my left exactly at the same time as my passing. It may well piss off a few drivers using the term "cagers" but sore feeling compared with sore bones is not really a comparison...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
Sadly, people do listen to them though.

Over Christmas, I happened to be at the inlaws when some of their friends arrived for a coffee. Then more appeared. Eventually there was I, trapped with the kids and wife in a roomful of elderly folk who knew best about everything. A ringleader was outraged at the addition of speedbumps in the village where they all live, and how it was ridiculous that he, in his Merc, be expected to put up with these ludicrous "hazards" in the middle of his village. He'd started a campaign to abolish them and folk were swearing they'd get behind the movement.

Inconvenience to him = minimal. Effect in slowing traffic = high.

God. Given. Right. To. Do. What. He. Likes. On. The. Road. In. His. Car. And. To. Hang. With. Everyone. Else.

Had I known him better or met him in a different setting I'd have taken him to task. As it was, I rolled my eyes and got the troops together and left as soon as I could.

What we need is some sort of rebuttal. Well written, factual, snappy. Something that says "Actually, tosspot, you're bloody lucky to be allowed on the road at all, so shut up", but in many more words, more politely, and more intimidatingly (I mean, so that you sound like a high court judge saying it). Then we could all learn it verbatim, and spout it (but sounding as if we were making it up on the spot) when necessary. Not abuse, but something really authoritative.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User said:
I refer the Honorable Member to the answer I gave earlier... ;)

Oh yes, that's good, but I was thinking of a more Churchillian sort of speech, which incorporated the salient facts, but did so in a devastatingly witty way. The sort of thing that even if the recipient doesn't realise he's been verbally flattened, all the witnesses do...

It would help of course to be either Churchill, Vinnie Jones or Lady Bracknell, when giving the speech...

Top Bottom